VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I'm trying to speed up Steel Panthers and Age of Rifles (both newer DOS games) by increasing the memory DOSbox has available, as both games run rather slowly However, it doesn't seem to use more than 64mb, because when I edited the config file to give it 256mb then run Dosbox and type 'mem' it still displayes 64mb.
I have 640mb of ram, and I'm running MacOSX on a G4 iBook, 1 Ghz.
Using DosBox 0.62
I've set the number of CPU cycles to 25000 instead of the default 4000, but that hasn't helped much either.

Reply 1 of 4, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

64mb is the maximum DOSBox can use right now. I hope myself it will be raised to at least 128mb in a future version, but 256mb would be even better.

Not sure that the memory is the reason why they run rather slowly, though. Could be simply because the emulation for newer games is very demanding.

Reply 2 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, Original Dos was limited to 64mb. FreeDos overcame this limitation but I really don't see why you would think this would improve performance...especially if the game isn't programed to take advantage of it. About the only thing you could possibly do with the extra memory is create a RAM drive...which doesn't apply to Dosbox.

Never done performance testing on a G4 but wouldn't 25k+ Cycles be excessive? It's possible that your overcompensating which may be slowing down performance. I highly doubt that you'll get acceptable performance with Dosbox with those game. For those games on the Mac I'd go with Virtual PC, Not sure if the latest version of VPC will run on a G4 since I haven't kept up with VPC for awhile...so you want to try earlier versions.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline