VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JimLarimore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have recently been going through and archiving all of my old diskettes. I was writing batch files to properly imgmount all of the disks to get them lined up for installation. But, I am running into a problem where some of these games with massive disk counts are problematic because I am exceeding the 128 character command limit in my batch files. I was hoping to using the caret symbol in my batch files to indicate continuation. But, DOSBox does not seem to understand this continuation symbol. I assume that there must be a solution to this problem as surely folks would be hitting this limit for other reasons. How do I exceed the command character limit? Or, can I add disks to the imgmount queue through multiple commands?

-Jim

Reply 1 of 6, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jim,
I see the dilemma: even if you're frugal with your floppy image filenames (1.img, 2.img, ... ) you are limited to mounting 16 floppies (that you can "flip" between with Ctrl + F4) before hitting the 128-character line limit.

In python ..

9 + (128 - len('imgmount a -t floppy') - 9 * len(' N.img')) / len(' NN.img') = 16

You could use letters (a.img, b.img, ... z.img) to squeeze in an additional 3 floppies.

If you drop the .img extension and name your images (1, 2, 3, ... ) you can mount 39 floppies. Maybe that's enough?

9 + (128 - len('imgmount a -t floppy') - 9 * len(' N')) / len(' NN') = 39

Reply 2 of 6, by JimLarimore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

krcroft, thank you for the response. I did think of this short file name work-a-round. I guess I was hoping there was a more elegant solution because I want to maintain some level of reasonable naming conventions for these disks.

Reply 3 of 6, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The DOSBox developers do support updates to accommodate proper installation of games.

If DOSBox's command line length prevents installation of a particular game (assuming reasonably named image files in 8.3 notation), then I think it would be fair to call the limitation a bug.

To present as examples, what are some games and their quantity of floppy disks that you're dealing with?

Reply 4 of 6, by dreamer_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, I did small test and can't hit 128 character limit (neither in command nor batch file) - at least not with `echo` …

JimLarimore, can you show us the command you have problem with? And how do you invoke your batch file?

| ← Ceci n'est pas une pipe
dosbox-staging

Reply 5 of 6, by JimLarimore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies. This bug was reported by my dad who is archiving these disks. I just tried it out myself with police quest 4 (12 disks) and I wrote a command that had to be around 250 characters and it worked fine. I'm not sure what he ran into. But, if there is a character limit, it's a lot higher than we thought.

Reply 6 of 6, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad you're all set Jim. Awesome to hear you and your dad are into the classics together.

Separate from the archiving task, there are some handy install-helpers specifically for old Sierra games here (for Windows): http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSier … Installers.html