VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have recently - out of curiosity - installed MS-DOS 6.22 in dosbox using a clean svn build, a 120 MB hard disk image and the dos 6.22 floppy images.

It works great - although I have not yet encountered any real "compatibilty advantages" compared to using just dosbox's builtin "dos" and mounting directories.

One thing I have noticed is that as soon as the "boot -l c" command is executed, dosbox by default switches to "cycles=max". Why is that the case? Isn't Dos 6.22 a real-mode-operating-system unless you run protected mode apps/games? Now I know how to fix this using the config file, but I am still curious why dosbox would switch to max when booting into MS-DOS.

My system: Acer Spin 1 laptop, CPU Pentium N5000, 4 GB of RAM, OS: Windows 10 64 bit.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 2 of 11, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. And because of that by default dosbox will switch to dynamic core/cycles=max unless I manually alter the config to be core=normal, cycles=3000, for example? Is it because of the 64 bit OS?

Reply 3 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

nothing to do with the host OS. it's because by default cycles are set to auto and probably , as jmarsh wrote, your image loads emm386 (because just testing a DOS 6.22 floppy image does not set the cycles to max)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 11, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-07, 16:42:

nothing to do with the host OS. it's because by default cycles are set to auto and probably , as jmarsh wrote, your image loads emm386 (because just testing a DOS 6.22 floppy image does not set the cycles to max)

Yes, I have installed Dos 6.22 to a hard disk image. And yes, emm386 is loaded.

Interesting.

Reply 6 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I see that I wasn't clear, "just tested a Dos 6.22 floppy image" was what I meant 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 11, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wikipedia says:

"In the 80386 microprocessor and later, virtual 8086 mode (also called virtual real mode, V86-mode or VM86) allows the execution of real mode applications that are incapable of running directly in protected mode while the processor is running a protected mode operating system. It is a hardware virtualization technique that allowed multiple 8086 processors to be emulated by the 386 chip; it emerged from the painful experiences with the 80286 protected mode, which by itself was not suitable to run concurrent real mode applications well.[1]"

Very interesting indeed. I didn't know that before.

Reply 9 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It happens, just not with the built in EMS.

Reply 10 of 11, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This time it was me who wasn't clear 😉. I know it happens for protected mode games and for Windows 3.x. But why doesn't it happen with dosbox builtin memory managers?

Reply 11 of 11, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does happen if you manage to load EMM386 in DOSBox's DOS.

V86 mode doesn't really achieve much (except create a lot more work for the emulator) so there's no reason to have it active by default. It does get activated by a few games (Wing Commander series).