VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have found a problem with geforce experience and dosbox 0.74 and dosbox 0.74-3

I have installed geforce experience with my nvidia drivers.

Dosbox 0.74 or dosbox 0.74-3 doesn't work if output is surface, overlay or ddraw. It works only with opengl. But, display key mapper with CRTL+F1 doesn't work even with opengl.

I have tried to uninstall geforce experience and I have found that surface, overlay and ddraw works anew. Key mapper wwith crtl+f1 is displayed even with opengl output.

I have also found that dosbox daum version works even with surface, overlay, ddraw and opengl even with geforce expriences installed. I don't know why it's different.

Do you know this problem and is there any solution other than uninstall geforce experience ?

I use geforce experience for the fps counter that works with dx12,dx11,opengl and vulkan games contrary to fraps that doesn't work with vulkan, dx12 games and some dx11 games.

Excuse me for my poor english.

Reply 2 of 6, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's better to ask at nvidia forum, why their software breaks official builds of DOSBox.

The easiest would be to use Daum's further, where the last version I'd recommended is that.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try the SDL.dll from the daum build with the official version of DOSBox and see if that makes a difference. DOSBox uses SDL 1.2.13 for compatibility reasons. SDL 1.2.14+ break things that require patches that the SDL devs don't care about but if you are only concerned about your own system then the Daum SDL.dll assuming that's your fix should work fine. You can also try the official SDL 1.2.14 or SDL 1.2.15, or post 1.2.15 (assuming one has been compiled or you compile one yourself) dlls.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-01-08, 04:18:

You can try the SDL.dll from the daum build with the official version of DOSBox and see if that makes a difference. DOSBox uses SDL 1.2.13 for compatibility reasons. SDL 1.2.14+ break things that require patches that the SDL devs don't care about but if you are only concerned about your own system then the Daum SDL.dll assuming that's your fix should work fine. You can also try the official SDL 1.2.14 or SDL 1.2.15, or post 1.2.15 (assuming one has been compiled or you compile one yourself) dlls.

In daum version posted by Tertz or the version that I use, I don't find sdl.dll file.
I don't know why.

Maybe, the lack of sdl.dll is the reason why dosbox daum works and not official version of dosbox or dosbox ece

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try this SDL.dll https://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15-win32.zip
I can't confirm if it works for your issue or not since I refuse to use Geforce Experience since they implemented the login requirement. Didn't find much point in it before then either.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 6, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-01-09, 15:58:

You can try this SDL.dll https://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15-win32.zip
I can't confirm if it works for your issue or not since I refuse to use Geforce Experience since they implemented the login requirement. Didn't find much point in it before then either.

Thanks.
I have tried but it doesn't work.

In fact, I have found that it's the overlay of geforce experience that isn't compatible with dosbox 0.74-3 and dosbox ECE. Unfortunately, overlay is neccesary to display fps counter.

I have tried dosbox staging that have sdl2.dll and it works (I don't know if sdl2.dll is the responsible) even if I can't try key mapper because crtl+F1 seems inactive with dosbox staging.