VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Someone

User metadata

How do you swap virtual disks while you're running a program? With real disks, you can just eject one and put another in, but, in DosBox, you have to use some kind of command, and I don't know how I can do that while I'm in a program. I've tried using imgmount, and I've tried using BOOT and then ctrl-F4 to swap the disk images, but nothing seems to work. What should I do?

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm you can only swap disk images. The next version will swap normal images with ctrl-f4 as well.

(type rescan if you are in commandmode)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does "normal images" include cd images? If not, I have implemented this kind of swapping already (but with ctrl-f3). I have no time to test it extensivly at the moment, but if you want it for the next version, I will make a patch.

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm it does a empty cache on all mounted drives.

If you think something is missing feel free to submit a patch, but do hurry.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought you were talking about images mounted with imgmount (normal images). Anyway, to clarify want I meant, here is a patch with that you can mount multiple cd images and switch between them with ctrl-f3: e.g. imgmount d disc1.iso disc2.iso -t iso.
If you intend to release 0.63 shortly, the patch is probably too large.

Attachments

• Filename
    cdimage_swapping.diff
    File size
    27.13 KiB
    Downloads
    208 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Yes, I've tried swapping disk images, but it doesn't seem to work. I've tried using IMGMOUNT to mount the second disk image out of six of them. I would then run SETUP.EXE on the mounted floppy disk drive, which contains the files of the first disk, and then when it came time to swap disk, I'd try pressing ctrl-F4 to swap the second disk image into the mounted disk drive, but it didn't work. I've also since tried using the BOOT command to mount all six disk images, but that doesn't seem to work either. One approach I'd take is to use the BOOT command to mount all six disk images on the virtual A drive and make sure that the first disk image was the one that was loaded. Then I would go to the virtual A drive and type SETUP only to get "Bad command or file name." I've tried this same approach again except that I had all the disk images stored in the place that I would designate as the A drive, and I got the same result. Finally, I've tried using the BOOT command on all six of them and made sure that they weren't stored on the place I designated as the A drive. In the virtual A drive, I would instead put all the files that were contained on the first disk there. Then I would run SETUP.EXE from the virtual A drive, but when it came time to swap disks, pressing ctrl-F4 to swap the disk images did me no good. I've even tried saving the files from each disk to a separate CD, and I'd mount the A drive as CD drive. It seemed to work at first, but right before it came time to swap disks, the program would crash, and I'd get this peculiar error message that was something like "rghsource had no drive specified" even though I made sure that each of installation paths began with "C:\".