VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, i use dosbox since many years ago, but always for "fun" never like a serious replacement of my real hardware

I decide this 2020 build a dedicated PC just for dosbox and win3x & 9x games

Is a thin client, Futro S550 AMD 1.2ghz, ATI x1250 and a 14" CRT

Dosbox is give me a lot of trouble with the parameter "fulldouble". If i use "true" i have no tearing, but sound is terrible, if i set to "false" sound is ok, but tearing is horrible

I think relevant parameters i use

output=surface
machine=svga_s3
core=normal (& dynamic)
cycles=3000 (3000-25000 deppend game)
blocksize=1024 (i tested with 256-1024)
prebuffer=20

Resolution i create for dosbox

320x200 70hz
320x240 60hz
640x400 70hz
720x400 70hz
640x480 60hz
720x350 60hz
720x348 50hz

Dosbox is using correct resolutions, for example in Wolfenstein 3D, i check is using 320x200 at 70hz, and in Pinball Fantasies 320x240 at 60hz

I check the CPU usage and is very low, like 20% of CPU usage max when wolf3d is running

Any ideas? im stuck

thanks a lot

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'd be better off playing it with a port like ECWolf or real DOS\9x command prompt assuming you can get working audio from them on that machine.

For DOSBox
Wolfenstein 3D isn't a protected mode game so won't switch to dynamic automatically so no sense in using normal core,
Try different outputs.
Make sure you're using DOSBox 0.74-3
Upgrade your video and sound card drivers.
Try setting SDL to WINDIB. I think I remember the shitty ATI cards having issues back in the day. SDL_videodriver=windib

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks for reply

DosFreak wrote on 2020-01-12, 22:11:

You'd be better off playing it with a port like ECWolf or real DOS\9x command prompt assuming you can get working audio from them on that machine.

I already have plenty of computers to use ports or real dos, the idea is to build a dosbox machine

For DOSBox
Wolfenstein 3D isn't a protected mode game so won't switch to dynamic automatically so no sense in using normal core,

I need to switch to dynamic manually, wolf3d is only smoth if i use 10000 or more cycles, in normal core max cycles i can use are 4000

Try different outputs.

I already tried surface, overlay and ddraw, same result

Make sure you're using DOSBox 0.74-3

I tried from dosbox 0.73 to latest SVN, same always

Upgrade your video and sound card drivers.

I already tried diferent drivers, same

the sound driver is a generic AC97 from realtek, the ati driver i tested different version of catalist

I did not test any other videocard, since im pretty sure, the only cards that do custom resolutions and doublescan are ATI, no others, nvidia, intel can do

Try setting SDL to WINDIB. I think I remember the shitty ATI cards having issues back in the day. SDL_videodriver=windib

I tested windib, sound is ok, but i think GDI dont have vsync, is the same as doublebuffer=false... no?

SDL_videodriver=directx is the one give vsync but the problem of sound

I dont have any more ideas...

thanks

Reply 3 of 5, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you running Windows or Linux on the thin client?

Another option is to try dosbox-staging to see if SDL2 helps; binaries in this thread: Post 815580

It will generate a new conf file. Suggest using output=texturenb, renderer=opengl, fullscreen output, without any scaling so it's all done in hardware (scale=none), and aspect=true.

If you're running Linux, then use vsync=false, and see if you can control vsync/tearing in your video driver instead.

Also, suggest using 2048 audio block size and up to a 64ms prebuffer. For sb16 and earlier games, you can get away with a mixer rate of 22050 Hz, and only step it up to 44.1 or 48 KHz for the higher-end DOS games that uses SB16, GUS, 16bit DMA, or CD audio playback.

The sempron 1200 Mhz is roughly on par with Pi 3B+, so your maximum cycles will be around 30,000 - which it looks like you're seeing.

Curious if any of that helps.

Reply 4 of 5, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krcroft wrote on 2020-01-13, 01:36:

Are you running Windows or Linux on the thin client?

Hi, im using Windows XP

Another option is to try dosbox-staging to see if SDL2 helps; binaries in this thread: Post 815580

Is not working, first, is compiled for Vista+. I manage to change the subsystem to XP and run this version, but mount command is not working. Maybe is using some vista+ code

It will generate a new conf file. Suggest using output=texturenb, renderer=opengl, fullscreen output, without any scaling so it's all done in hardware (scale=none), and aspect=true.

I did not test opengl much, because is much slower compared to surface, i did not see as a valid option because of this. I will try more, but at a first test, give me the same problem

Also, suggest using 2048 audio block size and up to a 64ms prebuffer. For sb16 and earlier games, you can get away with a mixer rate of 22050 Hz, and only step it up to 44.1 or 48 KHz for the higher-end DOS games that uses SB16, GUS, 16bit DMA, or CD audio playback.

The problem of a 2048 audio block is that i find the audio lag too much, in fact, over 256 i start feeling the lag. Anyways, even at 2048 i have similar problem. I tested 22050 same problem

Anyways, i found a "temporary" solution to the problem

VIDEO - Vertical Sync (SDL1)

This build, is working great, no audio crackling even at lowest buffer, perfect vsync at original resolution and HZ, dosbox feel just like my good 386 PC

The problem the diff file is not working in my custom dosbox build, i try to compile in mingw without luck, tomorrow i will try more

thanks for reply