VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElfPhoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FYI: Alt-tabbing DOSBox with Nvidia's newest drivers (66.93) causes DOSBox to crash (for me, anyway). My OS is WinXP SP2. I reverted back to the 61.77 drivers which corrected the problem.

Elf

Reply 6 of 17, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous wrote:

if you have a geforce 2, you shouldnt really bother updating the nvidia drivers.. the new ones only really change stuff for newer cards - and like you found out, they can even be worse for the older cards

Indeed. Same for GF3Ti200. I have a GF3Ti200 and still use 4x.xx drivers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reply 7 of 17, by ElfPhoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Freddo wrote:

Indeed. Same for GF3Ti200. I have a GF3Ti200 and still use 4x.xx drivers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I commonly use several different Nvidia drivers. I like 30.82 (my oldest version) and 45.23. I was involved in a beta test of a recently released game. So I tried numerous versions. Every version I used worked. My "standard" is version 45.23, but Planescape:Torment does some odd spell effects with that driver. It runs just dandy with 30.82. FYI: Planescape:Torment is my all time favorite computer RPG, and Betrayal at Krondor is a very close second. There are a lot of my older DOS games I wish to replay. I'm thankful that DOSBox makes that possible, and it does a fine job at it. I'm currently running three different DOS games: X-Com (the original), BaK, of course, and Ultima VII. I may even add Serpent Isle to the mix. I use Exult for the Ultimas, tho. It is completely full screen and at my choice of resolutions. I use 512x384, tho I could use 800x600. I like the added touches.

Other older DOS games I'm planning to replay using DOSBox are: Master of Magic, Civ I, Master of Orion, and maybe Ultima VI.

Elf

Reply 8 of 17, by Guest

User metadata

What are you talking about?
I have Geforce2 and I always upgrade and never had any troubles with that.
Every once they add nice things even for older versions.
For example, there was no taskbar icon until some versions ago.

But most importantly, 66.93 was the first Microsoft approved version!
That means no more warnings by Windows when installing.
And that's good not only because it's much less annoying...finally, Nvidia bothered to follow the standards. I hope that means much less potential troubles now.

Reply 9 of 17, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous wrote:

But most importantly, 66.93 was the first Microsoft approved version!

No, it's not. They have released several WHQL (Microsoft Windows Hardware Quality Labs) certified drivers over the last 2 years.

Reply 10 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you install some of the newest games out there and that ask for certain direct-x version (mostly newest ones - 8.1-9) you may run into errors with some older drivers that don't support a given direct-x version. Alone in the dark 4 comes to mind.... I had to uninstall good ole 30.82 for it.

Reply 13 of 17, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElfPhoenix wrote:

FYI: Alt-tabbing DOSBox with Nvidia's newest drivers (66.93) causes DOSBox to crash (for me, anyway). My OS is WinXP SP2. I reverted back to the 61.77 drivers which corrected the problem.

If you start dosbox with the -noconsole option, the output is redirected to stdout.txt. After a crash, it is filled with error messages that give info about the crash. It may help the developers if you tell what messages appear.

JAL

Reply 14 of 17, by ElfPhoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jal wrote:

If you start dosbox with the -noconsole option, the output is redirected to stdout.txt. After a crash, it is filled with error messages that give info about the crash. It may help the developers if you tell what messages appear.

JAL

That's something to keep in mind if I run into any other problems. I have so many different Nvidia reference drivers, it really doesn't matter to me which one I use to get the job done. However, I am not experiencing any problems with any games that I am playing (that I hadn't solved, that is).

Elf

Reply 15 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
jal wrote:

@JAL, now see what you did 😀

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 17 of 17, by Guest

User metadata

i also have nvidia 66.93 installed on my win me-machine.

the problem is that everytime i run dosbox 0.63 my pc crashes and often i am only able to reboot in the security mode to restore an older system point.

i also set up my machine completly from scratch, so therefore i should have the latest drivers.

does anybody have an idea what i can do to make dosbox 0.63 finally work on my computer? cause i'd like to play the old great games again from time to time.... 😉

thanks in advance