VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that version 0.63 is out, it may be a good idea to start a bug thread for this version like we had on 0.62. Since there's no thorough "this has been fixed list", and also no "these things are on our todo list" list, I suggest bugs present in 0.63 that were also present in 0.63 can be posted again (it might have been 'fixed' without result).

So here's the kick-off:

When switching to VGA 90 column text mode (720 pixels wide) in full screen, or when switching to full screen when running 90 column text mode, DOSbox crashes, saying "Exit to error: Failed to create a rendering output". This bug was also present in 0.62.

The upside is that user definable characters work without problems, so that's something that has been fixed without notice.

JAL

Edit: I attached a sample program.

Attachments

• Filename
    TST90COL.EXE
    File size
    7.45 KiB
    Downloads
    133 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by Mephibosheth

User metadata

I have recently downloaded and isntalled DosBox-0.63 and when I run it I couldn't mount anything. The problem is that when I try to mount something like C:\games I cannot type a colon ":" when I try to it types ";" regardless of either shift button held down. Is this my hardware or is this ia bug in DosBox?

Thanx

~Mephibosheth

Reply 2 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It's not a bug - it's a feature 😀

Read this.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@guest complaining about modem:
Read the following and add any information to that thread:
Reported modem problems
CANADACOW repeatedly confirmed that modem emulation is ok, so I suspect that the problem is on your side.
I have been trying to find out about those supposed modem problems for longer time, but without success... If you have any other experiences, then write to the above mentioned thread ! (you must log to post there)

Mirek

Reply 5 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

@Minimax:

Hi, could you explain what the benefits of this change are? I assume there are some, since the only user-visible change I noticed regarding this was that support for !US keyboard layouts appeared to be removed, which I too would regard as a bug rather than a feature.

I eventually did manage to assign ":" after struggling somewhat with the keymapper, which I found a bit non-intuitive to use. It would be nice to get more feedback when clicking things. Fx when "Add" us the only button shown, nothing seemingly happens when clicking it.

And how to add stuff with modifiers beats me. Never got it to work.

Reply 6 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Anonymous wrote:

@Minimax:
Hi, could you explain what the benefits of this change are?.

Search forum. Keyboard mapper and usage of national keyboards were discussed quite a lot here. After a bit reading you will understand why this is far better solution than before (unless somebody is really lazy)...

Mirek

Reply 7 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Anonymous wrote:
@Minimax: […]
Show full quote

@Minimax:

Hi, could you explain what the benefits of this change are? I assume there are some,

<snip>

And how to add stuff with modifiers beats me. Never got it to work.

I have not been following the discussions about how to remap the keyboard since I just close my eyes and imagine a VT100 keyboard from the 1980's when I started using computers. At that time, EVERYTHING (terminals, printers, manuals, etc) was US-only, so the US-layout is 'hardcoded' into my fingers, unless I open my eyes, look at my Danish keyboard, and let my brain override the fingers.

One benefit as I see it, is that it is possible to create keymapping files. All we need is for someone to create a Danish, Polish, Greek, Turkish, Spanish, etc mapperfiler, and we can all have a consistent keyboard layout. Also, instead of language specific layouts, you can create (and distribute) layouts suited for specific games. None of this was possible before.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions