VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't believe that somebody put the program Dosbox for sale on Ebay. Who would buy it when it can be downloaded for free.

Reply 2 of 6, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember a discussion about this a few years ago. It is a violation of the license terms to sell DOSBox, so the creators could theoretically sue them for doing this.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I see stuff like this on eBay, I always report them to eBay.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 6, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

as if reporting has ever done anything, I keep reporting people bidding on their own stuff all the time... as long as ebay profits from it they won't do anything, unless it is really harmful to their broader public image.

also as jmarsh said, technically it's not illegal I guess... ethically questionable sure.

Reply 6 of 6, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reporting isn't going to do anything, as no-one has done anything wrong...

I wouldn't even say it is unethical tbh... at the end of the day, it's a service provided for convenience (especially for people who don't know how to compile stuff)...

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html wrote:

Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU Project is that you should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that you should charge as little as possible—just enough to cover the cost. This is a misunderstanding.

Actually, we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can. If a license does not permit users to make copies and sell them, it is a nonfree license. If this seems surprising to you, please read on.

The word “free” has two legitimate general meanings; it can refer either to freedom or to price. When we speak of “free software”, we're talking about freedom, not price. (Think of “free speech”, not “free beer”.) Specifically, it means that a user is free to run the program, study and change the program, and redistribute the program with or without changes.