VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I've libpng 1.2.7 compiled and installed in the correct locations (all under C:\msys\1.0\local):

bin\
__libpng12.dll libpng12-config libpng-config

include\
__png.h pngconf.h
__libpng\
____png.h pngconf.h
__libpng12\
____png.h pngconf.h

lib\
__libpng12.a libpng12.dll.a libpng.a libpngdll.a
__pkgconfig\
____libpng12.pc libpng.pc

Other libraries are detected and used well in those locations, but DOSBox 0.63 refuses to detect it. In the ./configure step it says:

checking png.h usability... no
checking png.h presence... no
checking for png.h... no
checking for png_check_sig in -lpng... yes
configure: WARNING: Can't find libpng, screenshot support disabled

It doesn't detect them even in the case that you move the includes and library files to the standard locations C:\MinGW\include and \lib. However DOSBox detects SDL libraries (at the same locations), compiles and runs OK but lacks screenshot support. What can I do to make it detect libpng ?

I'm interested in recompiling DOSBox to gain some performance by activating -march=... and other optimization flags. I've got 20500 cycles so far running Doom 2 with GUS playing at 44100 KHz and no frameskip in my Athlon XP 2400+. With the standard build I got 18000.

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

c:\msys\1.0\local the right location ? Really ? it seems a odd location
anyway just add the include directores to the CXXFLAGS before starting dosbox.

dosbox uses the default search path of the compiler.......

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks a lot for all your answers. Just only one more question: assumed that you use MinGW to compile DOSBox... what did you do to compile against the SDL_sound library ? I get a bunch of errors when building the library related to string.h and math.h definition conflicts (duplicated definitions):

../.libs/libSDL_sound.a(libmpglib_la-interface.lo)(.text+0x50): In function `_isnan':
C:/MSYS/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../../include/math.h:338: multiple definition of `__isnan'

I've seen out there that it's a common problem (not only mine) with latest MinGW, but I didn't find any solution.

Reply 6 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well the trouble is sdl_sound itself.

it has a lot of problem and we had to modify it source.

I recall that you have to modify the file sdl_sound_internal.h
and look for a undefinition of inline

that is wrong and should be a defintion.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!