VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mech

User metadata

like the subject.....i have a drive that winxp will not read or anything, i was wondering if dos box can detect the drive or no?

Reply 3 of 9, by Guest

User metadata

wow that was fast......but accualy i posted too soon..i got winxp to read the floppy drive...i didnt check the bios throughly, i found a setting for 3.5 inch floppy...had to change that. but now it works..but thanks for your help...but now that it reads it, if the games dont run on xp , will dos box play the ones that its supposed to?

Reply 4 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am beginning to feel like being lost here... what does an old game stored on a 5 1/4" floppy drive have to do with DOSBox being able to run it or not? Under DOSBox, everything is almost VIRTUALISED, that is, DOSBox doesn't care at all if it's loading from a 5 1/4" floppy or not. If it works (on the real world), it will probably work under DOSBox... Just try mounting your 5 1/4" floppy drive letter under DOSBox; configure game (if needed) and try to run it. 😕

Reply 5 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

eL - it not you that is lost. It's the newbies that don't quite understand the magic of virtual machines. Heck - I remember when I was first introduced the wonders of an IBM/370 (I think) and how it would run 1 copy of VM/370 in "real-mode", with N copies of VM/370 on top with CMS running in those virtual 370's to give the impression of a multiuser CMS environment.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 9, by fed1943

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"We all have been newbies sometime".Not just that.Some ones have grown with computers (one grandson of mine touched computers' keys before he could walk or speak);others,were already very adults when they saw a computer.Believe,that makes a diference.
Best regards,

just younger than computers

Reply 8 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am not here to Bash(!) anyone, but I think it also make a big difference that some of us where introduced to computers that you could actually understand. A computer that consisted of a 1 MHz CPU, 4 KB of ROM, 1 KB of RAM, an MC6847 video chip and some supporting chips that allowed you the luxery of using a standard cassette deck for "mass storage" can - with a moderate amount of effort - be understood. As I graduated to newer, faster, bigger, more advanced computers, I never abandoned the idea that I was able to understand how they worked. Certainly, there are areas of todays PC that I do not understand in detail, but I can "wrap" those areas up in little black boxes and claim that I know enough of what goes in and what comes out of those black boxes to still claim that I understand how they work.

I do not envy people whose first introduction to computers are a 4000 MHz CPU with 2,000 KB of RAM, 1,000,000 KB of RAM, and a graphic CPU that is 1 million times more complicated than all of my first computer. How can they be able to grasp, that it is not THAT complicated - it is just that INCREDIBLE speed that makes it possible to get all the simple stuff to work together in that MAGIC way?

It is like a big symphonie orchestra. If you start by listening to the orchestra as a whole, it is f.cking amazing. If you sit down next to each musician and listen to one instrument at the time, it is not THAT amazing - but still pretty impressive:

/rant off

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions