VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox in the real world press

Topic actions

First post, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's an article from the december issue of the french magazine Joystick. It's inacurate, but they are very positive about the emulator.

DOSBox is bundelled with the mag.

Feel free to post scans of articles of your local magazines about DOSBox 😀

translation of the text (I won't be too literal, if I were, the translation would be barely readable)

DOSBox […]
Show full quote

DOSBox

Does autoexec.bat, config.sys, emm386 mean anything to you? I already see some of you in sweat as I evoque this not that far age when installing a game could not be summed up in a few clics on the "next" button. I'm indeed talking about a time that people younger than 20 cannot know (note by Zorbid, this sentence comes from an old french song), a time when we were struggling to grab a few more kb of memory. With the rise of Windows and DirectX, gamers became assisted people.

Of course, if we were having a hard time by then, it was in order to play some titles that will remain forerver mythic.

If there are, on PC, emulators for almost every more or less electronic device ever created, playing an old PC game under Windows XP is a real martyrdom. It won't be short of surprises for the boldest people who'll dig out their old DOS disks, as some games don't like it that much to run on processors about 300 times faster than the ones they were supposed to run on.

From this afflicting constatation, DOSBox does the unthinkable by emulating an old PC on our modern machines. You can choose the type of processor to emulate, as well as the working mode (realtime or protected), all imaginable memory options (and there are quite a bit), and of course the full load of graphic modes that'll make us shed a tear (thinking of Hercules and Tandy, for example).

You can even emulate the GUS you could not afford by then... That was good dope, sir, nothing to do with those cheap SB clones. I wonder what these became...

Version: 1.2.3
Editor: Peter Venstra
License: Freeware
URL: http://dosbox.sf.net

Attachments

• Filename
    Joy Dosbox.jpg
    File size
    131.91 KiB
    Downloads
    221 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Zorbid on 2004-12-07, 12:49. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 47, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Great! Please post more 😀 (not necissairy Zorbid) I know dosbox should be in some more magazines. We are often contacted about it.

PS: Oi my french is rusty

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 47, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, a spanish magazine (Computer Hoy Juegos) started to bundle (is that the word?) with some old games. The first was Tomb Raider, and they recorded Tomb Raider and DosBox in the CD. Also, they wrote an article to show how to get the thing working... i think it was 0.60... maybe I could scan and post the article...

Reply 6 of 47, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup, I was wrong. It was not DosBox, but...

In issue #37 (April 2004), Computer Hoy Juegos bundled "Leisure Suit Larry Collection". They put DOSBox 0.61 with the games, and they wrote an article about how to make the thing work. Sadly, I'm not sure where I have the magazine...

In issue #39 (June 2004), they bundled "Tomb Raider + Unfinished Bussiness". They put VDMSound 2.0.4 in the CD, and wrote a guide. The said something about GliDOS and video cards, but they didn't publish it on the CD (neither a shareware version).

Reply 8 of 47, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Zorbid j'espere que vous n'avez aucun objection a une traduction en anglais d'un vrai traducteur? 😀

DOSBox […]
Show full quote

DOSBox

Do autoexec.bat, config.sys, emm386 mean anything to you? I can already see some of you breaking out in a sweat at the memory of that not-so-distant past, when installing a game demanded far more than a few clicks on the "next" button. I'm referring, of course, to a time that no-one under 20 will know anything about, when fighting to gain a few extra kilobytes of memory was everything. The rise and rise of Windows and DirectX has turned gamers into CRT couch potatoes.{1}

Still, we struggled thus for a real cause - so that we could play the games that have now become legend.

While there are emulators aplenty on the PC for pretty much every electronic device under the sun, playing an old PC game under Windows XP is a genuine exercise in adversity. It comes as no surprise to those brave few who dare to dig out their old DOS disks that some games don't take kindly to running on processors about 300 times faster than the ones they were designed for.

It's from out of this quagmire that DOSBox has risen to achieve the unthinkable and emulate an old PC on our modern machines. You can select the type of processor to emulate, whether to use it in realtime or protected mode, every imaginable memory option (and there are quite a few), and of course the entire gamut of graphics modes - seeing Tandy or Hercules again is enough to bring a tear to the eye. You can even emulate the GUS that you could not afford back then - they were the real deal, nothing like these cheap SB clones. I wonder what became of them...

{1} okay, so I'm stretching it a bit on that one... I can't think of a really elegant way to translate "assisted people" into natural-sounding English, though.

Last edited by Targaff on 2004-12-09, 13:14. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 47, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, to be fair, if we take 1995 as the logical "switch" year (for both Windows and DirectX), a 20 year-old would only have been 11 at that time. There's bound to be some particularly bright sparks who knew their way around a command line at that age, but they'd be a genuine minority - most kids were already junked up on console games by then.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 12 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was using C64's, TRS80's, Apple II's, from whe I was 7-10yrs old. From 10-now is all been x86 PC baby. I'm only 24. (25 next month).

I wouldn't consider 95 as the date that DOS died. Plenty of DOS games came out around that time and after. 1998+ would be a better date. I'm thinking BattleCruiser 3000 may have been the last major DOS game. (If you even consider BattleCruiser a game....ah crap, it didn't even run so whatthehell)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 47, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the upgraded Battlecruiser and Redguard are probably the last DOS games, being from 1998. Both have support for Glide aswell which I hope DOSBox will have support for someday.

Reply 14 of 47, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't say that it was the date DOS died, rather that it was the date the Windows GUI and DirectX become predominant on the market (hence "switch"). I don't think the date of the last ever game is a particularly useful measure of anything, either - by that token, Glide was still going strong in 2002 (Clusterball) and the SNES was all good in 2001 (can't remember the name of the game, though).

We had two Vic 20's when I was growing up, from when I was about 4, and then had a C64 as our only computer until I picked up a PC in - heh - 1995. 27 here, though, so I clearly qualify for the "over 20's" group.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 15 of 47, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zorbid wrote:

For the 20 years thingy, it comes from the lyrics of a song about the nostalgia of the youth ..

I just put that one down to unavoidable loss of cultural reference. What's the song?

Corrected some spelling mistakes I made - one day I'll learn to spellcheck. If anyone finds any other articles in French or German, I'd be happy to give them a go.

Reply 17 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DirectX was shite for gaming in 1995. DOS games were far more fun,prevalent, involved, use of "3D" in 1995 than any DirectX game in 1995. Due to the stability of DOS and developers experience programming in DOS that is most likely the reason why. Heck, Windows 95 wasn't released until late '95. DirectX didn't really start being used effectively until a semi-stable 9x operating system was released which was 95b and then 98FE. Roughly late 96-97. Most notably Myst and Starcraft.

So I could conceivably at the earliest accept '97 as the "switch" date. 😉 This means a significant # of home PC's with Windows 9x installed and DX games that started to become equal to their DOS equivalents.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 47, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I'm not going to quibble about it, so '97 it is 😉 In fact, even more so by then, people were very much into their consoles, so it doesn't really make much difference to the point, cultural reference notwithstanding.

It does make me feel old when I think that these people have driving licences, however... *creak*