Common searches

DOSBox in the real world press

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crap, I was about to post that I thought Myst came out in '95 but I think Myst for Windows 95 came out in '96? Windows 95 was released late '95 so it had to be '96. I hated Myst anyways, puzzles had absolutely nothing to do with the "game". Just a bunch of pretty pictures to click through.

Was just searching the net and some sources say 1993 was the initial release of Myst?

Myst for Windows 3.1 (1993/94?)
Myst for Windows 95 (1996)
Myst Masterpiece (1999)

I only have Myst Masterpiece which hopefully I will get around to playing when I'm wearing diapers and drooling on myself. 😀

Well to get this back on topic.

Is press for DosBox a good thing? You could say that any publicity is good publicity......

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 21 of 47, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suppose it depends what sort of people it brings in. Hopefully in a dedicated gaming magazine it'll be the sort of person who has been PC gaming for a while, but there's always going to be a measure of chaff with the wheat.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 23 of 47, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RealMyst was never released in the UK, I don't think. I keep meaning to buy it when I'm in the US, but keep forgetting...

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 24 of 47, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first Myst was released in 1993 for Macintosh. Also the first game to require a CD-ROM IIRC as there was no floppy release. Then in late 1994 it was released for Windows 3.x aswell. And then released for several platforms in 1995.

Reply 25 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Computer Gaming World
January 2005
Issue #247
Page 69
Bottom half of page

DOSBox
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

Bummed Windows XP has no backwards compatibility with DOS games? DOSBox is the answer. From King's Quest IV to Crusader, this program accurately emulates everything from music to game speed.

Reply 26 of 47, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In Canard PC issue 52 (january 2005), there is an article about DOSBox.

I'll post a translation later.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.jpg
    File size
    263.35 KiB
    Downloads
    151 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 47, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

[Tip]
"Play old DOS games"
Windows 2000/XP

The current trend for abandonware underlines the fact that certain games will only work in DOS, and anyone struck with a nostalgic yearning to play these golden oldies again will frequently be thwarted when they refuse to run in a DOS window. There is a solution, however, in the form of an emulator called DosBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/). All you have to do is drag and drop the game's executable onto the DosBox executable. There is a French manual available at http://dosbox.sf.net/tools/Readme_french.zip, and the site also has a compatibility list and a summary of the hardware emulated (Gravis Ultrasound, Soundblaster 16, VGA/SVGA). DosBox is also available for Linux and Mac OS X.

Last edited by Targaff on 2005-03-13, 18:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 47, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Tagraff 😀

"you simply run the game within the DosBox window instead."
should be "
you simply drag the game's executable, and drop it on DOSBox's executable (binary?)."
Or something like that.

The rest is perfect 😀

Reply 29 of 47, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hah, talk about total misunderstanding of the word 😉 Thanks, I'll change it.

Reply 30 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was searching the net a couple of weeks and heard that O'reilly had a book that mentioned DosBox. Well I was in Books-A-Million the other day and noticed it. Opened it up and there was a little paragraph mentioning DosBox.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/gaminghks/toc. … LL-4GV796923290

Chapter 1. Playing Classic Games […]
Show full quote

Chapter 1. Playing Classic Games

1. Legal Emulation

2. Play Commodore 64 Games Without the C-64

3. Play Atari ROMs Without the Atari

4. Use Atari Paddles with Your PC

5. Run Homebrew Games on the Atari 2600

6. Create Your Own Atari 2600 Homebrew Games

7. Play Classic PC Graphic Adventures

8. Play Old Games Through DOSBox

Last edited by DosFreak on 2005-06-29, 21:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31 of 47, by Duncan Idaho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Battlecruiser 3000? *shudder*

Don't speak that too loudly, or you'll summon the Flame Demon Derek Smart himself. I for one would rather not have him, or any of his degree mill degrees polluting this fine site. :p

Reply 32 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was a Books-A-Million again today (yeah I go there alot...Yeah I read...wanna make something of it...Huh? Yeah, That's right......uhhh..whatever) Anyways, I looked at the back of Maximum PC (June issue?) and noticed that they have included DosBox and Dfend on this month's CD, as far as I know this is the first time they have included it.

Expect tons more noobs to come by, here's an example:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board … essage.id=25894

Reply 33 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found another mention of DosBox:

http://www.holbornbooks.co.uk/details.aspx?sn=1252378

SUSE Linux 10 Unleashed
by Mike Mccallister

Table of Contents. […]
Show full quote

Table of Contents.

11. Going Cross-Platform.

Viewing Files from the Windows Side of Your Computer

Emulating Other Operating Systems in Linux: An Overview

A Few Misconceptions About Cross-Platform Tools

Using Wine to Run Windows Applications

Installing and Configuring Wine

Installing Windows Applications Under Wine

Running Wine

Crossover Office

Running Windows Applications with Win4Lin

Installing Win4Lin

Running Win4Lin

Running Windows Applications with Vmware

Installing Vmware

Running Vmware

Emulating a Mac with Basilisk II

Using dosemu and DOSBox

Xen: The Future of Virtualization?

Reply 35 of 47, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of these, only the first two actually mention DOSBox. The other three are false positives. I am somewhat surprised that it find Gaming Hacks but misses Retro Gaming Hacks (also O'Reilly). Chapter 7 and particularly "Hack 69" of that book are practically all about DOSBox. It is also mentioned many times throughout the book.
I am surprised that nobody mentioned Retro Gamer magazine (now defunct 🙁 ). Each of 18 issues mentioned DOSBox, and it was on most of magazine cover CDs.
Issue 6 of PC Action (first of two Emulate! issues) has two pages on DOSBox.

Reply 36 of 47, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I knew that most of the books listed were only mentioning the Windows command prompt, but as Google keeps adding books, each subsequent click on that link should show more and more books.

Reply 37 of 47, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PC Gamer
Feb 2006
Issue 146
Page 082
(Full page with pictures)

+ Mentions about front-ends, where to get them, and how to use them.
- Talks about mounting rather lightly and no mention about mounting CD drives.
No mention of any platform other than Windows XP.

As well mentions in troubleshooting tips about getting help from forums at www.vogons.org. (Stated merely as warning as to a possible explanation for a sudden uptick of questions over the next few weeks)

Reply 38 of 47, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, Retro Gamer is back from the grave, now with different publisher. I haven't seen any of the new issues yet so I cannot tell if it still mentions DOSBox as much as it did before. It looks like they've dropped cover disk 🙁

Reply 39 of 47, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing this month, and a quick scan through last month seems to indicate not a great deal there, either. What goes around comes around, though; I'm sure it will be mentioned again at some point, and in the meantime the magazine is really well-done, and I recommend it.

They had a big piece on Tomb Raider this month, actually - maybe someone should have pointed them in the direction of the Glidos forum here...