VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I’m looking for some noob level help. I’ve picked up a HP T610 thin client that I’ll be installing DOSBox on. I also bought an SC-88VL and UM-One MkII MIDI adapter with intent to use this in games that are suited best to the Sound Canvas. I planned to:

1) Use the SC-88VL for those games that it’s suited to for General MIDI
2) Use MUNT emulation for those games that it’s suited to for MT-32 music

My question is about digitised sound effects etc. Do I need some other configuration (software and/or hardware) to have sound effects etc playing at the same time as the music? If so, what do I need?

There appear to be lots of posts about the sound canvas and DOSBox, but I couldn’t find anything specific about wanting to have Sound Canvas music at the same time as hearing sound effects?

I’m assuming that, if using DOSBox to emulate all of the sound it would just use an internal software mixer etc to play everything back simultaneously, so my thinking is that I’m going to need some type of external mixer to get the sound output from the SC-88 and also from DOSBox.

Any help massively appreciated

Thanks ever so much guys
Craig

Reply 1 of 2, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Basically it depends on the game.

* With some games, typically early midi games you just loose the sound effects if you select midi.
* with other games, they substituted the sound effects with midi sounds
* With yet other games, you get to choose two sound options, one for digital sound effects and one for midi.

DOSBox emulates various legacy soundcards for digital sounds, such as the soundblaster cards, which should just work fine with whatever soundchip is integrated in your pc.

Reply 2 of 2, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot Rob. I’ve picked up a mini Mixer along with the 88VL and will be taking the sound outputs from the thin client soundcard and 88VL and pushing them through 2 channels in the mixer. Hoping I can get all of this working once it arrives 😀