VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Turk Thrust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been trying to play CM 97/98 and I wondered whether anyone could give me any advice on getting this game to run faster? I know nothing about computers, so it would have to be simple advice.

I am playing it in Windows with dosbox 0.74-3.

I know to use ctrl with F12, but when I open the game that only changes the performance from 100% to 105% which makes no difference.

If I simply open up dosbox, then I can increase the cycles up to 8000 or 9000 or more, but I don't know how to start the game from this position or how to save it at this speed.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 8, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know what CM 967/98 refers to but dosbox.ini has the cycle settings. Regular dosbox will logically put the ini in the dosbox directory, dosbox installers will inconveniently put the ini elsewhere.

Reply 2 of 8, by Turk Thrust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
awgamer wrote on 2020-05-05, 03:28:

I don't know what CM 967/98 refers to but dosbox.ini has the cycle settings. Regular dosbox will logically put the ini in the dosbox directory, dosbox installers will inconveniently put the ini elsewhere.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, CM 97/98 refers to the game Championship Manager 97/98. Now to play the game I have to drag that game's file to the dosbox file.

Is there any other way to open a game?

And, as I said I know very little about computers, so is there any easy way for me to change the ini that you speak of?

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awgamer wrote on 2020-05-05, 03:28:

Regular dosbox will logically put the ini in the dosbox directory, dosbox installers will inconveniently put the ini elsewhere.

Unless things have changed, dosbox.conf (not dosbox.ini) is available from the Start menu group: DOSBox-0.74->Options->DOSBox 0.74 Options.

Reply 4 of 8, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

>(not dosbox.ini)

Sorry about that, .conf.

>Now to play the game I have to drag that game's file to the dosbox file.

I'm not sure what you mean, what dosbox file you're referring to, and I wouldn't expect that to work. I know of running dosbox.exe and starting things from the DOS command line, auto running by putting things in the autoexec section of the dosbox.conf file and using frontends.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awgamer wrote on 2020-05-05, 04:50:

I'm not sure what you mean, what dosbox file you're referring to, and I wouldn't expect that to work.

Dragging a .exe to the DOSBox icon will make DOSBox automatically mount the folder of the .exe and run it.

Reply 8 of 8, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When you run the game, in the titlebar there should be something like "Cpu speed: 3000 cycles". The "3000" is the default if your DOSBox config has the cycles=auto setting, and if DOSBox did not auto detect that the game needed more. However this auto detect does not always detect that the game needs more cycles, and as such you may want to change it. If instead it shows "Cpu speed: 100% cycles", there is no point in adjusting the setting.

To adjust the setting, open the dosbox config file and find the "cycles=auto" line, and change it to something like "cycles=10000" and see how it goes. You can go higher if needed.