VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Ok i downloaded dosbox0.63 and i am doing exactly what it says on the installation part. But after it says to choose directory or change directory it says... "unable to change to: death rally" Can someone plz help me to get this to work. I have AOL instant mess, my SN is EwokSi

Help is greatly appreciated. thx

Reply 1 of 4, by absolutefunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Remember that DOS folder/names can only be 8 characters max, with no spaces. It's prolly being converted from "death rally" to "death~1" or "deathr~1" if DOSBox doesn't truncate at the space. try cd death~1 or cd deathr~1. If neither of those work then just rename the folder in windows (or whatever OS your using) to something like "drally".

-Brian

Reply 3 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
ribbon13 wrote:

I wonder why though... w98 command line supported dos games just with and long filenames...

Windows 98 supports long filenames, so maybe a bit of that functionality crept to its DOS as well...
But I recommend do not use long filenames in DOS at all even in W98. Normal DOS does not know long filenames. DOS application were designed for short filenames. In other words: it is probably W98 hack, which may or may not work for a DOS application.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
MS Windows95 Resource Kit wrote:

Using Long Filenames

For MS-DOS version 6.22 and earlier, filenames cannot exceed eight characters and filename extensions cannot exceed three characters i length ...... With long filename support in Wndows 95, these 8.3 filename constraints are gone.

Win95 also came with the LFNBK (Long Filenames Backup) utility which could (temporarily) rename the long filenames to 8.3 names (the long names was stored in a LFNBK.DAT file) and vice versa.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions