VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nil

User metadata

as above, how can i run dosbox in text mode without x11, i don't want to get in Xwindow, is this possible or not?

thanks for your read and reply.

Edited by mirekluza: Removed orange coloring of the text to save eyesight of our visitors...

Reply 2 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Not possible.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DOSBOX window is a graphic window. No way around it - even if you see just a DOSBOX command line, it is not text mode from the point of view of the host computer. So it cannot run in text mode!

Mirek

Reply 5 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was under the impression that by "text mode" he meant anything but X-Windows. Linux has an API called SVGAlib that is used almost universally for non-X-Windows graphics. SDL, the wrapper library that DOSBox uses for graphics, supports SVGAlib (I think), so DOSBox should too. I wouldn't know how to make it work though.

There's also an extension to SVGAlib that makes it use text modes as graphical modes (I remember someone released ttyquake, a port of Quake 1 that runs in text mode), but that's another story and it wouldn't translate the DOSBox text modes to Linux text modes.

Reply 6 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

There is nothing wrong with your logic, HunterZ, but it leads to two philosophical questions:

1) If a tree falls in the woods, and there is nobody to hear it - does it make a sound then?

2) If SDL can do graphics without X11, but nobody knows how to make it do so - can DOSBox then run without X11?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 7, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

see './confiure --help' output from libsdl:

--enable-video-fbcon use framebuffer console video driver default=yes
--enable-video-directfb use DirectFB video driver default=no
--enable-video-svga use SVGAlib video driver default=no
--enable-video-aalib use AAlib video driver default=no

The SDL_VIDEODRIVER environment variable is used to select the driver.