VOGONS

Common searches

Font size

Topic actions

First post, by frustin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got some ASCII character dos games (railway sims) that have tracks that dont quite line up unless the font size is set to 10x18 pixels (on an XP virtual machine).

On the forum for vDOS the admin said,

vDos internal font has a 1:2 aspect ratio. I suspect the default DOSBox font is 9x16, and comes from the 8x16 font. Some charact […]
Show full quote

vDos internal font has a 1:2 aspect ratio. I suspect the default DOSBox font is 9x16, and comes from the 8x16 font.
Some characters got extra pixels at the nineth position, most were just copied with a blank nineth column.
You would have to set the text display to 640x400 pixels, 80 characters of 8 pixels wide.
Should be an option of DOSBox, its forum will know how to.

Please can you help?

Reply 2 of 6, by frustin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-07-01, 20:12:

Are you using DOSBox 0.74-3? Have you tried an SVN build?

Yeah, i am using this version

ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-07-01, 20:12:

Also, a picture is worth a thousand words, and a screen capture can help others better understand your issue.

This is what it looks like in XP dos, but also what the default config on DOSBox looks like. Note the way the diagonal lines are stepped
train-8x12.png
This is what it looks like when i change the font to 10x18 in XP dos. The lines are more diagonal and not stepped.
train-10x18.png

I realise this is a small detail, but my uncle (who i'm trying to get this to work for), is old and things have to be the way he knew them to be. So if there anything you can suggest for me to do to get this working i'd be grateful.

Thanks very much.

Reply 3 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Because DOSBox emulates old PC video standards, it is not as flexible as the NTVDM with regard to what fonts can be used. Character symbols must be 8 pixels wide.

There is a mode where a 9th pixel column is copied from the 8th pixel column for certain characters, and while this creates a noticeable difference in appearance, I don't think it helps for your purpose. You can try a setting of machine=vgaonly to see what it looks like.

For slash/backslash characters that form nicer diagonals, I think you want a double-height 8-line font, and the easiest way to achieve this is with a machine=cga setting. However, the software you are running in DOSBox may require EGA/VGA video standards, and if so it will be necessary to switch fonts instead of changing machine type, so let me know if that is the case.

Reply 4 of 6, by frustin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-07-02, 05:26:

You can try a setting of machine=vgaonly to see what it looks like.

here's vgaonly look. the font isnt ideal
DOSBox-vgaonly.png

ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-07-02, 05:26:

For slash/backslash characters that form nicer diagonals, I think you want a double-height 8-line font, and the easiest way to achieve this is with a machine=cga setting. However, the software you are running in DOSBox may require EGA/VGA video standards, and if so it will be necessary to switch fonts instead of changing machine type, so let me know if that is the case.

Here is the cga setting look, the lines are correct but the font is pretty weird looking...
DOSBox-cga.png

When i tried this game on vDos it looked perfect font is nice and the lines are aligned, only the Beeps dont work in game (and that's also very important as how does one know if the trains are waiting?). Here is a visual of what it looks like in vDos...
v-Dos-image.png

Reply 5 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well, "weird" is subjective, and I know some retro-minded folks who consider the CGA text appearance quite nostalgic.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, DOSBox emulates old PC video standards. Although vDos is based on DOSBox, it throws out the video emulation and uses font-based text rendering like the NTVDM. You can, of course, try to contact the vDos (or vDosPlus) maintainers about adding or improving sound emulation.

My last option for you is to load a different font. For this you use the default machine=svga_s3 setting and run the attached program in DOSBox. The font in this case is an alternate one from the IBM CGA video card, and has a more "thin" appearance than the well-known "fat" font, but also has slashes that make nice diagonals. I'm not sure you'll like it better, though.

Attachments

• Filename
    cgathin.zip
    File size
    1.34 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 6, by frustin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-07-02, 08:25:

Well, "weird" is subjective, and I know some retro-minded folks who consider the CGA text appearance quite nostalgic.

yes, sorry, poor choice of words.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, DOSBox emulates old PC video standards. Although vDos is based on DOSBox, it throws out the video emulation and uses font-based text rendering like the NTVDM. You can, of course, try to contact the vDos (or vDosPlus) maintainers about adding or improving sound emulation.

thanks, i've tried that, but they blame the program i'm running. though i've not tried vDosPlus yet so i'll give it ago if the font suggestion you have doesnt work.

My last option for you is to load a different font. For this you use the default machine=svga_s3 setting and run the attached program in DOSBox. The font in this case is an alternate one from the IBM CGA video card, and has a more "thin" appearance than the well-known "fat" font, but also has slashes that make nice diagonals. I'm not sure you'll like it better, though.

will try that and let you know.

EDIT: the font worked but alas it wouldnt have been "right". i downloaded vdosplus and that works great.

thanks for your help