VOGONS

Common searches

Operating System

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by 007

User metadata

Hi there,

I was wondering if it was possible to install an Operation System on DOSBox. Yes, I found out that my 20 disk set of Windows 3.1 won't work by doing a search 😀 But what about other operating system that aren't windows such as GEOS 1.0 or GeoWorks 2.0? Does anybody know of those will work?

Reply 1 of 13, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is a support e.g. for using other MS DOS versions (see commands BOOT, IMGMOUNT). So just try GEOS or GEOWORKS. I have never met them so I do not know.

And Windows 3.x do work in DOSBOX (both using built-in DOS and when using real MS DOS).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 13, by Guest

User metadata

"And Windows 3.x do work in DOSBOX (both using built-in DOS and when using real MS DOS)."

Cool. By what do you mean by Built-in DOS and the real MS-DOS? I'm running Built-in DOS is the actual DOS box and real MS-DOS is the MS-DOS that comes with Windows 3.1? Also, got a quick question. Since my version of Windows 3.1 comes with MS-DOS 6.22 (I think), should I first install MS-DOS 6.22 and then install Windows 3.1 or just install Windows 3.1? Sorry for my slight newbieness.

Reply 3 of 13, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

a) "Built-in DOS" - just normally in DOSBOX
b) "real MS DOS" - you can install another DOS in DOSBOX (commands IMGMOUNT, BOOT) - search forums, see DOSBOX Guides forum and wiki documentation.

As I said:Windows 3.x work in both cases (so you do not need to install MS DOS if you do not want to).
Search forum for more information about what works and what does not. Recently some significant improvements were made (mouse in enhanced mode/support for 256 color/SB in enhanced mode) , but these are only in CVS (not in 0.63 - they will be in the next version).

Mirek

Reply 5 of 13, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
ChaosFish wrote:

Just a side note: Windows 3.1 isn't an operating system. It is a DOS application.

It is something between an application and an operating system. The first Windows started just as a DOS shells and continually more and more OS functionality crept in (especially enhanced mode is already more like separate OS than an apllication program).

Mirek

Reply 7 of 13, by Guest

User metadata

well, 've got just a little question...
I wanna play at Dune 1 but I've got a problem: I've installed Win Xp
so... my pc tells me about a problem encountered with these kind of application... what should I do?
I surely tried to install Dosbox compatible win 3.1 but it hasn't worked...
So plz answ quick
I really starts hating Windows xp: there weren't so much bugs on 98 and even in 95 😢
Thx for all 😁

Reply 8 of 13, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChaosFish wrote:

Just a side note: Windows 3.1 isn't an operating system. It is a DOS application.

Cute 😀. Let's just pretend this isn't flamebait, and give a reply anyway. DOS is a layer on top of BIOS, Windows 3.1 is a layer on top of DOS. Like the BIOS provides common interfaces (more or less APIs) used by DOS to handle many things, Windows 3.1 uses DOS and its API to handle many things. However, Windows 3.1 also provides its own drivers, and its own API, for programs running under Windows 3.1, allowing them to do many things impossible under plain DOS. So in that respect, neither DOS nor Windows 3.1 are 'true' OSes, but both have common features found in OSes in general. When running Windows 3.1, BIOS + DOS + Windows together make the OS.

JAL

Reply 9 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By your reasoning any OS on the PC is not an OS since it uses the BIOS. WTF!?

The simplest explanation would be that an OS is not an OS if it cannot boot itself. (Key word ...OPERATING system).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline