Rank Newbie
Rank

[system]
HP-Pavilion notebook,
p3 1.2Ghz
512Meg
s3-twister video 63M v-ram
40 Gig HD
Slackware 10.0 with KDE 3.3 and upgraded SDL libraries.

Problem,
I've read and followed the faq to create the image using bochs, fdisk and formated the C: image. However, when I re-boot the dosbox and try
"imgmount c test4.img -size 512,63,16,20 -t hdd -fs hdd" the dosbox shuts down. I am able to imgmount 2 for the HD, and boot using a dos 5, and 6.22 image. but unable to copiy files from locally mounted drive/directory a mounted device image. Any ideas on why it shuts down with the imgmount would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 2 of 5, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Mounting HD images works for me, no idea why it crashes for you (I take it that you mean it crashes even with that -fs fat (?)), so just a few things to remember:

- mounted image must be in already mounted directory

- DO NOT COPY FILES FROM MOUNTED DIRECTORIES TO MOUNTED HD IMAGE IF YOU DO NOT USE CVS !!! You will corrupt the image (this was fixed in CVS after *0.63* was released). Use DiskExplorer to get there files (see DOSBOX Guides, wiki).

- there is also problem with error codes of DOS functions when using HD image from DOSBOX shell - it can lead to some programs not working (e.g using Volkov Commander to copy files from mounted directory to HD image is not possioble). It is better to use HD images only when booting alternative DOS version.

Mirek

Reply 3 of 5, by trongod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick response. Here is the DosBox procedures and also the error output from the linux console.

Z:\>mount e /root/japanese_floppy
Drive E is mounted as local directory /root/japanese_floppy/

z:\>e:

e:\>imgmount 2 e:\test4.img -size 512,63,16,20 -t hdd -fs none
Drive number 2 mounted as /root/japanese_floppy/test4.img

e:\>imgmount c e:\test4.img -size 512,63,16,20 -t hdd -fs fat

DosBox shell shuts down and prints error on linux console.

Linux Konsole error output
Using partition 0 on drive; skipping 63 sectors
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

Currently using the latest CVS available. compiled on my machine. Downloaded all SDL packages for Slackware that were sugested with dosbox. Able to view seperate "partition" of the .img file when mounting as a looped device on linux directory.

Reply 4 of 5, by trongod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Adding to the scenario.

I re-did the hd image using the bochs image, inside of windows instead of the same inside of linux. partitioned and formated the drive. It booted with dos5. system. re-formated with japanese dos disk with font support and it wouldn't boot. Was able to boot with the floppy and see the C: drive image. loaded and played the pachinko game.

Restarted the laptop over to Linux. went through the same steps to mount the image. Was able to finally mount the image. However, now it doesn't see the original partition that was setup using the windows side of the machine. Also still cannot boot with the HD image mounted or un-mounted. Looks like the biggest problems are being inside of the linux version of DosBox, CVS or Image doesn't seem to make a difference on the access issues.

Thanks for letting me bend an ear and get some ideas.

Mike

Reply 5 of 5, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I have no experience with Linux, only with Windows.

However you seem to be using "imgmount 2..." and "imgmount C" in one session. I think it is a nonsense...
You are mounting one disc image twice (!) during one session (once without file system, once with fat file system). Reread documentation. You should mount HD image without file system only for FDISKing etc.
Then you should restart DOSBOX, mount it as C: with FAT and boot by BOOT -l c

Mirek