VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jykro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get DOSbox to work on windows 98 second edition. Everytime I double click on it, I get this error message in the "DOSbox" window:

Error: Failed to create a rendering output

I've had this problem with 0.62, and still have the same problem with 0.63. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Jykro

Reply 1 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

IMHO it has absolutely nothing to do with W98SE, but with your graphic card (try to update drivers). Also try different output methods in DOSBOX.CONF (surface, overlay etc.). You may also try a different SDL.DLL.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 6, by Jykro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm certain that my video driver is up to date. And I took your advice and "fiddled" around with the 'dosbox.conf' file. Now I'm able to get the program to stay up the longest, but the window that I do all the typing in, like "mount d c:\... etc.", is completely black. The outputs that I use to get this are 'opengl' and 'openglnb'.

What would you mean by 'SDL.DLL'?

-Jykro

Reply 4 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Jykro wrote:

What would you mean by 'SDL.DLL'?

See the folder where you installed DOSBOX. There is a file SDL.DLL. Try to replace it by another version (search Internet or take it from an older version of DOSBOX).
SDL library has clearly problems with your graphic ... No idea why.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
oneirotekt wrote:

Is DX9 supported under Win98/SE? I thought MS stopped supporting Win98 before DX9 came out...

W98SE is still supported by Microsoft (after some protests they extended that support - on 7 (?) years since the original product release).
W95 is not supported.
Anyway: DOSBOX does not need the newest DirectX (only ddraw output mode uses DirectX at all...).
Installing it is just one thing to try when he has problems with graphic...

Mirek