VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mat

User metadata

This is just something I noticed since I work on a non-US keyboard: many international keyboards have an additional key between left shift and Z (in QWERTY). Eg. have a look at Danish or German keyboard layout in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_keyboard_layouts. Pressing this key in DOSBox 0.63 results in the same as pressing backslash (next to return-key).

That's no problem, as long as you work with an US keyboard layout. But if I remap the keyboard layout (either with keyboard mapper or keyb.exe), then I'm not able to type the letters on this key. Instead the same letters as if I press the key next to the return-key (US: backslash) appear.

Is there a quick fix for this problem or has is to do with the way DOSBox emulates the keyboard? Thanks for your help.

Reply 3 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Anonymous wrote:

Indeed...non-US keyboard support sucks right now.
In 0.61, german keyboard layout worked out-of-the-box, but I have not yet been able to get it working properly in 0.63 (the mapper is next-to-useless).
This needs to be fixed!

Before saying the next time what sucks or not read README and search forum (before coming and showing your ignorance and bad behaviour here). DOSBOX precisely emulates how it was in DOS (US keyboard + you can can use KEYB for national keyboard). There are resons why it is like that.

In future KEYB functionality will be integrated into DOSBOX. Till then KEYB is fully working (with possible exception of that missing key - but I think there should be probably a German layout available for a keyboard without that key - there used to be keyboads which just did not have it).

Mirek

Reply 5 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

FWIW, there are some weird differences in the keyboard handling from 0.61 to 0.63.

E.g. on my Danish keyboard, I have a normal key with "<", ">" (with Shift) and "\" (with AltGr) to the left of the ZXCVBNM keys.

In DOSBox 0.61 I get "<", ">" and ... nothing from that key.
In DOSBox 0.63 I get "\", "|" and nothing.

On the far right, just before the Right-Shift key, I have a key with "-" (dash) and "_" (underscore).

In 0.61 I get the expected characters "-" and "_".
In 0.63 I get the rather unexpected "/" and "?".

AFAICR, 0.63 is closer to the real thing than 0.61.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 12, by Guest

User metadata

Lol. just found out how this keymapper works.
For those who are not understand this tool (semms to be some ppl. 😀
press the button on the Layout the press the same button (not the key on you keyboard.) with that you can remap your keyboard to the US layout 😀
Neverthe less I would like to use keyb. But how can I copy it in the Z folder? where is that. I did not find this on the forum and in Dokumentation.
(I admit I searched Doku mainly)
thx the answer 😀 Good dossing 😀

Reply 9 of 12, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simple answer: you can't. The Z drive is virtual, there is no folder on your hard disk that corresponds to it. To use extra utilities in dosbox, put the files anywhere you like, then mount that dir.

I have one dir where I put all the extra stuff (dos32a, a small editor, cwsdpmi and other things I found useful), and my global dosbox.conf mounts that dir as drive S (for "system"), while the game to play is C (and D for cdrom). That keeps things well separated.

Reply 10 of 12, by fed1943

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks,Moe.One question,please: To create and fill that S directory,one must be on Windows,Dos prompt or Dosbox?
My thanks in advance.

just younger than computers