VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sad_aze

User metadata

the dosbox thing is really new to me. i fount it last week and i've ben sitting with my fat ass starting at my computer whole day now... i'm putting in old dos games and i found one i didn't know i had piranha. i wanted to capture the intro music from that game. after the otm and d-design logo that pops up in the beginning i there's some amazingly good music... i supposed it's some kind of tranze or techno. yeah i know it sound boring... well i pressed ctrl + f6. i got the sample i wanted but when i wanted to listen to the intro it was recorded in 22khz. im pretty sure the music in the game ain't 22khz but i could be wrong... didn't find anything at the readme file that says in wich format the sound is recorded at so i thought i could pop the question here! hopfully it's the right forum

Reply 2 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure the music is "recorded"? It might be MOD/tracker music or something...

Anyways, you can set the sample rate of the sound emulation in dosbox.conf. 44.1KHz is probably the best option. Note that it will probably require more CPU power to emulate the sound hardware at higher sampling rates.

Reply 3 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

HunterZ, I had a look inside the dosbox.conf file and there is an awful lot of ....rate settings. The comments did not make me any wiser as to which rate to change. Would it be enough just to change the rate setting in the mixer section?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm no expert, but it looks like it would be enough if he's trying to capture PCM (WAV) sound from an emulated Sound Blaster. Most of the other sound hardware emulated by DOSBox has its own rate parameter; if he's trying to capture from one of those devices, then I'd set its rate to 44100 also.