VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It used to be in the older libretro versions of Dosbox-SVN I could use a graphical overlay of a PC monitor like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HxPbLwpSao&t=601s

That no longer works. I updated my core today and the overlay will no longer display. Short of downgrading, Ideas?

I had to upgrade because the version of Doxbox I was using no longer supported Tandy mode. The new one does, but if I had to choose between Tandy and overlays, overlays win.

FYI I am using the 32-bit version of Retroarch for Dosbox, as there were issues with MUNT that prevented the 64-bit version as being an option. I use the full CM-32L romset, plus I like to modify reverb, etc., and in order to do this I must run the 32-bit version of Retroarch to maintain compatibility with the Windows MUNT device driver.

This is strange, because I am on the 64-bit version of Windows 10, but that is how I have to do things so they work.

Reply 1 of 3, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With further testing I have found that overlays do indeed still work with Dosbox-SVN, however, the newest build is incompatible with custom config .cfg files located in the /config subfolder tree. The newest Dosbox-SVN is doing something odd... It starts up, obeys all my viewport parameters, but won't load the overlay. Only after manually re-selecting the overlay, will it display. It gets worse, it drops stuff from my config...

One of my original .cfg files:

aspect_ratio_index = "23"
custom_viewport_height = "777"
custom_viewport_width = "1111"
custom_viewport_x = "408"
custom_viewport_y = "156"
input_overlay = "./overlays/PC Amiga/1084x_night_wall_wood.cfg"
input_overlay_hide_in_menu = "false"
input_overlay_opacity = "0.400001"
input_overlay_scale = "1.100000"
video_message_pos_x = "0.190000"
video_message_pos_y = "0.210000"

This is what the latest Dosbox-SVN saves my config as if I start with a pre-configured CFG, then re-enable the overlay:

aspect_ratio_index = "23"
custom_viewport_height = "777"
custom_viewport_width = "1111"
input_overlay_opacity = "0.400001"
input_overlay_scale = "1.100000"
video_message_pos_x = "0.190000"
video_message_pos_y = "0.210000"

Notice the lines that are being dropped...

custom_viewport_x = "408"
custom_viewport_y = "156"
input_overlay = "./overlays/PC Amiga/1084x_night_wall_wood.cfg"
input_overlay_hide_in_menu = "false"

Why is the latest SVN build dropping these? As a result, even though I save a new config, when I launch with my batch file, it doesn't load properly because the pertinent lines regarding viewport position and the overlay itself were omitted.

Reply 3 of 3, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I submitted a bug on the github forum. All of those settings are my custom settings I put into program specific .cfg files to launch Dosbox-SVN. They work perfectly with my August 29 of 2018 core. Half of them aren't even recognized with the latest one.

The weird part is those settings aren't special, they are pretty much recognized by all cores, universally in Retroarch. I use them with a variety of cores and emulators, such as the PC-88, for example, so I can't tell why the new SVN core is having trouble.

If the non-libretro Dosbox-SVN supported overlays, I'd use that instead, but to my knowledge it does not, nor does it support multipass GL/HLSL shader stacks with 15 - 18 steps. Maybe it does now? My goal has always been producing the illusion of using a real PC at a desk, as you can see the video, complete with CRT shaders.