VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TazDevil76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI,

I just dug out an old game I coded back in 1993. This one used to have Sound Blaster digital effects.
Under DosBox this sound won't be played at all. Another game of mine access SB directly by DMA and Adlib music and SB sound works great.

I think I'm missing a little tools of Sound Blaster...as far as I remember I used the SB Developer Kit for sound in the older game. I always had to call something like "SBINIT" (?) at the DOS prompt. Can anyone help me out by sending me this Creative tool?

Thanks.

René

P.S.: If anyone would like to play one of my games, they can be downloaded at www.wildsau.net in the section "Computer". 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hm.. search the forum for "innocent until caught". Maybe it is the same solution. (set sound command and correct driver for correct sb type). And if you provide the direct link for the game i could check it too.

Reply 2 of 5, by TazDevil76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try here: http://www.wildsau.net/downloads/m0018130.ZIP

It' s called Crash'n & Dash. Run install to set up Sound Blaster.
If sound works there should be sample playing at the "Stack Overflow" logo. Also you should have in game sound FX.

Thanks.

cu

René

Reply 3 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm - I do not get any music when the splash screen with the "Stack Overflow" logo is shown during start-up. I do get a sound effect ("hrrack, hrrack, ...")on the next screen, when the little fellow with the big nose is hacking his way into the treassure.

Not sure why the music is not playing....

More mysteriously is, that even with a config like this:

[midi]
mpu401=false

[sblaster]
type=none

[gus]
gus=false

[speaker]
pcscpeaker=false
disney=false

I still get that "hrrack, hrrack" noise!!! Where is that coming from? Every sound device is set to false??

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 5, by TazDevil76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you run setup (setup.exe)?
If not then sound is set to PC speaker!
Run it, select Sound Blaster and DO NOT select "Save and Install" (this will corrupt the game!), but select "Quit and save".

cu

René