VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TazDevil76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

another topic: when I run my old game "Ferris - The Wanderer" in windowed mode or fullscreen w/o double buffering everything's fine except the scrolling. The game uses 320x200 ModeX with hardware scrolling (ultrasmooth 😀).
When I set FULLDOUBLE=TRUE the scrolling is as soft as I expect it to be but sound begins to stutter. Sound comes from a MOD player. Music plays about 2 seconds, makes a break and continous and so on.
Setting prebuffering, samplerate, sound card type and speed to another value won't help.

Setting FRAMESKIP to 1 solves the problem but then the scrolling is messy again. What does that mean? Might this be an interrupt problem?

If you want to try get the game here: http://www.wildsau.net/downloads/m0019230.ZIP

Thanks.

René

P.S.: My machine is a AMD XP 3000+.

Reply 3 of 8, by TazDevil76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I read it.
No success. The problem occurs as soon as I choose SURFACE in combination with double buffering and fullscreen. In window mode everything's fine.
Lowering the sample rate to 5000 won't help.
I tried adjusting the cycles by checking the task manager. But even setting them to 100.000 (which give 95% on my PC) doesn't influence the problem at all. It's not getting better and not worse, no matter what I try.

Maybe it just doesn't work and I'll have to accept it. 🙁

Thanks anyway.

René

Reply 4 of 8, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

SDL's double buffering code ain't exactly nice, try forcing the videomode your gonna use to the highest possible refresh rate for you monitor that should cut down on some overhead.

Reply 8 of 8, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well find a debug build of dosbox then you can see what dosbox thinks the fps of the dos game is, but most old dos games all run at 70hz unless they used a tweaked vga mode like 320x240 which would get you 60hz normally. then again if it's 61 hz it's already faster than your lcd and fucking up synching big time 😀