DOSBox Feature Request Thread

General information and assistance with DOSBox.

Re: DOSBox Feature Request Thread

Postby Kisai » 2016-10-24 @ 20:31

Jorpho wrote:A nice idea, but who do you think is going to maintain this database? It is not a trivial undertaking. Have you seen https://www.scummvm.org/old/documentation.php?view=md5 ?

Right now GOG/Steam does this lazy thing where they ship a complete copy of DOSBOX with every game, even games in the same bundle. This creates poor user experiences as every game is configured differently. If it were easy to just drop the game exe onto dosbox's shortcut, auto-configure, all of this mess could go away.
If GOG/Steam – or rather the actual publisher - wanted to improve "poor user experiences", they would be entirely capable of modifying the DOSBox sources themselves. (Consider Wasteland, as well as Blizzard's freeware offerings.)

In the meantime, I think the vast majority of users do not even appreciate how "poor" their experience is.

I've seen the Scumm database before, but to be fair, they need to know what exact version of the game is being played so they can invoke whatever hacks needed to work around bugs.

What I propose for dosbox is to hash the game binary, and create a configuration file (eg resource.cfg for sierra games) that works with the optimal configuration proposed. There are cases like NRS's patches which would change the game drivers or game archive, which would require a second optimal configuration (eg KQ4's "base" configuration would be Adlib, but MT-32 would be optimal if NRS patch isn't present. Likewise with SQ3, there's a patch that enables a few DAC sounds that are only available if configured with the included driver. Otherwise it's Adlib as base, soundblaster if the driver is present, mt-32, mt32+soundblaster if that driver is present, pretty much in that order.

The Steam version of QFG1VGA and QFG3 and QFG4 all contain NRS's patches. So these are cases where DOSBOX wouldn't care since the game engine is the same, but ScummVM would probably flip out.
Kisai

Postby Iori Branford » 2016-11-23 @ 02:44

I would like to be able to toggle Alt-F12 and cap its speed at some multiple of normal speed, so I can try playing some naturally slow games (e.g. Prince of Persia) at slightly higher speed.
Iori Branford

Postby 1033Forest » 2017-1-05 @ 06:15

1. The ability to change colors just like in CMD with a simple command: color. Useful if people use a different color scheme on their CMD and want to use it on DOSBox. Like for me, my preferred color schemes would be 03 (teal on black) or 5E (yellow on purple).

2. What if a user wants to mount more than 25 folders? I've heard of LASTDRIVE=32 which is used on Novell DOS, OpenDOS, and DR-DOS, which was then added to Windows 9x's MS-DOS 7. This adds 6 extra drives, [:, \:, ]:, ^:, _:. and `:. But these 6 drive letters would be only for special purposes and/or search drives since some DOS programs won't expect drives beyond Z: and won't work with them.
1033Forest

Postby Jorpho » 2017-1-05 @ 07:16

1033Forest wrote:1. The ability to change colors just like in CMD with a simple command: color. Useful if people use a different color scheme on their CMD and want to use it on DOSBox. Like for me, my preferred color schemes would be 03 (teal on black) or 5E (yellow on purple).
There is a utility by the name of CHGCOLOR that can serve that purpose.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=27687

2. What if a user wants to mount more than 25 folders?
What indeed?
Jorpho
l33t++

Postby keenerb » 2017-3-14 @ 17:17

Does anyone know what needs to be implemented or faked in order to support GameWizard32's save state feature? I know there is a save-state patch in a few non-official builds but it is pretty buggy, and downstream apps like Dosbox on mobile devices can't benefit from it easily.

Save states in Dosbox would be a sort of personal holy grail for me...
keenerb
Oldbie

Postby awgamer » 2017-3-14 @ 18:02

The Pause function switches from the running loop, so at this point the running loop isn't in motion, I'd imagine the host could be called at this point to save the process state, much easier than emulated with having to save each components registers, memory, video, sound buffers.. , the issue is it's not cross platform, would need a back end for each platform, but that is the case for input, video, sound, dynamic recompiler.
awgamer

Postby Jorpho » 2017-3-14 @ 18:41

keenerb wrote:Does anyone know what needs to be implemented or faked in order to support GameWizard32's save state feature? I know there is a save-state patch in a few non-official builds but it is pretty buggy, and downstream apps like Dosbox on mobile devices can't benefit from it easily.
The first page of Google hits for <gamewizard32> includes https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/bugs/296/ , which suggests that it works fine – provided you've installed it correctly.
Jorpho
l33t++

Postby keenerb » 2017-3-14 @ 18:44

*edit* It occurs to me that this is possibly not the correct place for this discussion. Apologies if that's the case. */edit*

Yeah, I don't really want to re-open the thought of adding integrated dosbox save-state support, directly in the codebase.

re: Jorpho, gamewizard32 pro DOES work, with the exception of the save state feature.

It just occurs to me that perhaps whatever is keeping the gamewizardpro DOS app save state feature from working might be easy enough to fix. Sure, it has a lot of limitations but it could go a long way towards filling a feature hole.

viewtopic.php?t=19292#p192262 seems to be the last mention of it that I can find, back in 2010, so it seems that maybe it's time enough to revisit the question...

wd wrote:
That doesn't work because several of the internal dos structs are not implemented
by dosbox so the respective tries to save/load them has no effect on the respective
tables in dosbox.

What's changed in the last seven years? Have any of these "internal dos structs" been added/fixed, are we maybe closer to a fix than we were in 2010?
keenerb
Oldbie

Previous

Return to DOSBox General