VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ED_TA

User metadata

Dear all,
When I double click the dosbox.exe, it open and show the following 3 sentence.

CONFIG:Loading settings from config file dosbox.conf
MIXER:No Sound Mode Selected.
MIDI:Opened device:win32

Also, another windows called "DOSBOX 0.6.3, Cpu Cycle:....." also open.

According to installation guide, I should type "mount ...". However, I found that I cannot enter any info in both windows.

What is the problem?

Thank you!
ED_TA

Remark:
1. I have changed output mode before to avoid the error "Failed to create a rendering output "

2. All changed I have made is
nosound=yes
output=opengl

3. Basic system config
CPU: P4 1500 MHz
Rem: 256 MB
(I will provide other kind of info as necessary)

Reply 1 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hi ED_TA,

The window with the "DOSBOX 0.6.3, Cpu Cycle:....." title is where you should be able to enter DOSBox commands. The other window is just a status window.

When DOSBox starts, the main window should display a little greeting, instructing you how to use the INTRO (I think) command. And then it should display a prompt like this: Z:>.

Is that what you see? And you get no reaction when you press a key? Not even some of the CTRL-Fn keys?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 6, by ED_TA

User metadata

Hi Minimax,

I can only see the 3 sentences mentioned before in the main window. No greeting,instruction or any Z:> appear. No other thing appear or response me even I press any key.

Do CTRL-FN mean pressing the CTRL key with other function keys such as F1,etc(for course, not ctrl alt delete 😊 )?
I have tried it but there are still no response.

Thank for your help!
ED_TA

Reply 6 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some questions that come to mind which might help narrow things down:

• Are you using a modified dosbox.conf, or just the standard one? (if not standard, please attach or paste your dosbox.conf into this thread)
  • Are you using the SDL.DLL that came with the version of DOSBox you're using?
  • What version of DirectX do you have installed? Do you get errors reported when you run DxDiag?
  • Are you using the latest sound, video and motherboard chipset drivers available for your hardware?
  • Do you have problems running any other software on your system that may be in any way related to this problem?
  • How much of the CPU is DOSBox using when it's in this "frozen" state?
  • Are you launching DOSBox from a shortcut, or clicking directly on the program icon? If a shortcut, are you passing any parameters?
  • Are there any entries in your Device Manager in Windows that indicate a problem with any of your installed hardware or drivers?
  • Do you have a valid MIDI device selected in your Windows Control Panel?
  • Have you tried disabling MIDI support in DOSBox in addition to disabling sound support? (under [midi], try "device=none" and "mpu401=false")
  • What happens if you set DOSBox to start in fullscreen mode?
  • Do you have drivers installed for a game controller (joystick/gamepad) that isn't plugged in?

Has anyone else run DOSBox in Windows Server 2003?