VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nitecrawler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello peeps
I'm trying to install an old dos programme under xp. Its actually software to program a cnc mill. It was originally designed to run on the cnc's 386/486 processor. The offline software is on a floppy, and installs fine on a win 95 pc. I've tried installing it on my xp laptop using all the compatibility modes/memory modes with no success. I've installed dosbox, and get further with the installation. When the program gets to its 'minimum requirements' screen I get a 'co-processor error' and a 'floating point error' and cannot continue.
Any ideas?
one more thing - the software is dongle protected
cheers
jon

Reply 1 of 3, by old_school_dude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the software is dongle protected

if i remember right the dongle "key" was a hardwere key that was programable and one that one added to a extrnal floppy drive cable that went in to the pc

you need the key to open the lock errr floppy

good luck cracking the softwere ^^

Reply 2 of 3, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What if you install it on an old computer and then copy the contents of the installed files/folder to the new computer?

Also, I'm not sure if it would run well in DOSBox because of the dongle. You put the dongle into the serial port in the back of the computer, right? DOSBox do emulate the serial port, but I suspect it won't work anyway for some reason.

Dongles are a mess. Used some of those at my old job.

Reply 3 of 3, by old_school_dude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Freddo i hear what your saying and i agree with you

still .....trying to run the softwere with out the Dongle key is like trying to unzip a file with out the password :\

and on something as old as the softwere probly is on that floppy ...

well you know 🙁

find a \c\r\a\c\k\ is my best guess

i dout the old owner of the softwere cares about whats on that floppy anyways
15 years later