VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by user222

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When no applications are running, DOSBox still takes quite a lot of CPU usage. Shouldn't DOSBox take almost no CPU usage when there's no applications running? By the way, the Linux DOSEmu takes much less CPU usage because "idle CPU time" is implemented.

Reply 1 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

idle time is implemented.
the time spend is the time needed to update the screen.
(at least when you are in the prompt.)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 10, by user222

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

idle time is implemented.
the time spend is the time needed to update the screen.
(at least when you are in the prompt.)

Then why does the CPU usage of DOSBox go up to about 30% constantly? (It should only use less than 10% when it's idle.)

Reply 3 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Seems to work fine on my WinXP Home. With an idle DOSBox my total CPU usage hoovers around 5-8% with an occasional spike at 11-13%.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 10, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
user222 wrote:

Then why does the CPU usage of DOSBox go up to about 30% constantly? (It should only use less than 10% when it's idle.)

😕

What makes you think that it should only take 10% of your CPU time when idle?

It takes between 35% and 40% out of my Duron 700 at the prompt, using core normal with 3000 cycles, and no frameskip.

Reply 5 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Almost 100% on a K63-400, using whatever cycles (yes even 1), unless I use frameskip which reduces the processor usage significantly.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah It's always been on my mind to default frameskip to 1.
little games need the full update speed.

Harekiet doesn't agree to that so I've never commited it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 10, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

yeah It's always been on my mind to default frameskip to 1.
little games need the full update speed.

Harekiet doesn't agree to that so I've never commited it.

I agree 😁 I feel like 0 is a waste 😀 Always use 1. Doesn't really matter, though, as one just change the conf file 😀

Reply 9 of 10, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When dosbox uses more than few % of cpu in idle it means that the graphics output is less than optimum. This also means that all this CPU time is lost drawing the screen, instead of emulation. It helps to check all available outputs (for instance, OpenGL will take a lot of CPU time on ATi cards since DOSBox uses a special nVidia extension which is obviously not supported). Or you might have a crappy graphics card (or missing something important, like AGP drivers) 😁. On my laptop for example, surface for some reason performs much better than all other outputs although it's supposed to be slowest.