VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Some1

User metadata

Today I tried to compile the DOSBox CVS code with MinGW.
As the "Building DosBox" document tells me I donwloaded a DOSBox CVS release from http://pcnwstage.phys.rug.nl/dosboxcvs.tgz. Since I already downloaded another CVS release from cvs.sourceforge.net recently I only copied certain files (like configure - it's is missing in CVS releases from sourceforge) from the dosboxcvs.tgz to my DOSBox code folder.
After that I ran the configure script of SDL and of SDL_net (although I compiled both SDL DLLs with MSVC++ 7.1; without it, DOSBox' configure script can't find an important file).
Finally I ran the configure script of DOSBox with the parameters --disable-sdltest --disable-alsatest.
No matter what I do, the config script always fails determining the size of unsigned char. Here're the last few lines of the output:

checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
checking for unsigned char... yes
checking size of unsigned char... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (unsigned char), 77
See `config.log' for more details.

Now I'm wondering what's going wrong here?
I investigated a bit and I found out that this error occured quite often in other projects, too. If I remember correctly most ppl reported that this error occured because of missing libraries but I can't imagine which library is missing here.
Is there anybody else who got the same problem?

I'm using MinGW 3.2.0 RC 3 with
MinSYS 1.0.10 (also tried it with 1.0.11)

Note: Since I installed both (MinGW & MinSYS) in
E:\yyyyy\aaaa\MinGW and
E:\yyyyy\aaaa\MinSYS
I used subst to make it easier to access these two things. So now I have a seperate drive where both things can be found in:
J:\MinGW and
J:\MinSYS
Is it possible that substing is causing these problems?
I also substed the folder containing DOSBox' code.

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

could you attach the config.log ?
I just tested the archive and it configures at my place
I use linux though

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 3, by zorach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Some1 wrote:

I only copied certain files (like configure - it's is missing in CVS releases from sourceforge) from the dosboxcvs.tgz to my DOSBox code folder.

That sounds like it might very well be your problem. The gnu auto* utils are subtle and quick to breakage, and I wouldn't mix and match pieces from one tarball and another. Run autogen.sh to generate the configure file (note this usually requires having certain utilities installed, most likely automake and autoconf).

Reply 3 of 3, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That sounds like it might very well be your problem. The gnu auto* utils are subtle and quick to breakage, and I wouldn't mix and match pieces from one tarball and another. Run autogen.sh to generate the configure file (note this usually requires having certain utilities installed, most likely automake and autoconf).

I tried this today and it works. I compiled SDL and SDL_net with MinGW and then I created my own configure script with autogen.sh. Everything's working now. Thx