VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gilrad

User metadata

I have tried several games, all with the same results, which leads me to believe that it's not a problem with the specific games.

The problem is, whenever something 3d is being drawn, I get terrible framerates, yet the moment it stops, everything is fine. I have tried a wide variety of cpu cycle settings, and while it helps a little, there is still a noticable difference whenever something 3d is being drawn.

Example: In Daggerfall, everything runs like a dream, even the live action sequence before you begin the game. The moment you are plopped into the game, however, everything is amazingly slow. If I were to press escape, or open a menu, everything would be fine, but the moment I get back into the game everything slows down majorly again.

Other games tested include Magic Carpet (which ran slow only when actually playing in 3d), and Dominus (which didn't run slow at all, due to it being a solely 2d game).

Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 6, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get a faster CPU and increase the cycles? Daggerfall runs fairly smooth at 20,000 cycles.

Thing is, the same thing would happen if you played Daggerfall on a slow 20-33mhz computer. Menus fine since they hardly pushes the hardware, but slow during the actual gaming part.

Reply 3 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Anonymous wrote:

This is only a problem with DOSBox 0.63, apparently most 3D games run fine in 0.62, but unfortunately for us, they've taken the WIN32 download link off their site ><

That is not true. DOSBOX 0.63 certainly is not slower (usually quite the opposite - because you can increase its priority by a setting in DOSBOX.CONF). But remember that configuration settings change between versions. So use new config. Experiment with options. Read guides about running resource demanding games in DOSBOX Guides or WIKI (settings in DOSBOX.CONF can have *BIG* influence on performance).

Old versions are still for download on sourceforge page of DOSBOX. But if you want the older version just because it is supposedly much quicker, then I do not see any sense in that (it is not quicker as I explained above).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

In a galaxy far, far away:

priestlyboy wrote:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox all versions are listed here. Including win32 builds look for the Win32 in the name.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 6, by Thotihe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had this issue with Magic Carpet.

I unplugged my analog Joystick, and wa'lah, all fixied. 😉

Seems the analog joystick does something odd to Dosbox, be it active or neigh. I can't remember where I read this though.

Granted, I've other Magic Carpet issues, besides speed, but tis not hte place for it.