VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by blueside19

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I was able to install and run Windows 3.11 in enhanced mode. Yeah! Anyway, I was wondering, is there any way to get the internet working under dosbox? Heres what I got so far: I have two versions of IE: 2.1 and 5.0 for Windows 3.11. I'm running a dsl connection through my router, so I have a "LAN" on my computer. I'm running Windows xp, so that should not be a problem. Which would be better to emulate, the modem or ipx network on dosbox? my goal is to connect to the internet on windows 3.11 through dosbox. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! blueside19

Reply 1 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well we have a patch for it.
But I don't see much use to enable internet emulation only for windows 3.11
no other things benefit from it.
Therefore I don't see any need for it.

Making windows work in the first place was a great testcase for all our code in many different departments.

We still target primary dosgames. Adding a full blown network device to it just for the sake of something non-gaming is a bit overkill.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 12, by blueside19

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I see your point. Here's a more simple question. You know how the video is emulated to a specific driver. In this case the S3 Trio 64.... Is that true for the network/modem card? Is there a specific name for either one of them (network/modem) card? Thanks for the help... Blueside19

Reply 3 of 12, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Qbix: How about GTA?
It's for DOS and you can play it through the internet. And I'm sure there are many more DOS games which you can play through the interenet.

Reply 6 of 12, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blueside19 wrote:

what is GTA? some kind of computer game? If it is, what does it stand for? Just curious. Hey, any answers to my orginal questions will be great. Thanks... blueside19

Grand Theft Auto.

Reply 9 of 12, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:
well we have a patch for it. But I don't see much use to enable internet emulation only for windows 3.11 no other things benef […]
Show full quote

well we have a patch for it.
But I don't see much use to enable internet emulation only for windows 3.11
no other things benefit from it.
Therefore I don't see any need for it.

Ah, Qbix, sorry for being off-topic a bit, but that's another fine example for the usefulness of plugins. If someone wants a packet driver emulated, she could write a plugin providing the relevant ints/ports/functionality, while keeping dosbox core clean.

Reply 10 of 12, by user222

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ASM wrote:

It DOES already run in DOSBox, at least the 256 color version. The 24-bit color version doesn't run (yet).

I have just requested for 16-bit support. Now it seems like 24-bit support is also needed.

Reply 11 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well VESA goes all the way up to 32bit, but I don't remember any games that used it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 12, by old_school_dude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mirco $oft tryed to kill dos after 6.22 but some poeple kept it alive
dos still lives on here

btw i hope you know what your doing in dos cus the freedos boyz or freeking hardcore ^^