VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vardion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I run some games that require an MT32 compatible MIDI device (like Ultima 7) and other games that require a GeneralMIDI compatible device (like Ultima 😎. I have a both device types available in Windows 10 (MUNT for MT32 and CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth for GM) and can switch devices with CoolSoft Midi Mapper.
Currently I have configured DosBox to use the first available MIDI device, which is the Midi Mapper. If I switch between Ultima 7 and Ultima 8 in DosBox, I have to switch the device in Midi Mapper.

Since we already have "mixer /listmidi" in DosBox, I'd like to have a "mixer /setmidi" to change the MIDI device from within DosBox. This would enable me to write a small batch file for each of my games which selects the correct MIDI device and then starts the game.

An alternative would be changing the [midi] section of DosBox configuration to allow setting of multiple MIDI devices which DosBox then would presend as different base addresses (0x330 for first card, 0x340 for seconds card).
But since some games don't allow to configure the MPU address, the "mixer /setmidi" option would be preferred.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

doesn't config -set midiconfig=XX work ?
or config -set midi midiconfig=XX
or midiconfig=XX

(a lot of settings can be changed this way)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!