VOGONS

Common searches

Tyrian music tempo too fast!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I seem to be having a weird problem with Tyrian in DOSbox since I installed my new faster CPU, motherboard and RAM - the music tempo is a bit too fast! I could tell because it was noticably faster than on my previous machine, and I downloaded a few MP3s of Tyrian music just to make sure I wasn't hearing things - it really is faster than it's supposed to be. Any ideas about what's wrong and how it can be fixed? Changing the cycles per second does nothing to slow the music down until it's getting so slow DOSbox can't emulate the graphics. 🙁

I've also tried Tyrian 2000, identical problem.

EDIT:
OK, I tried setting my FSB back from 166mhz to 133mhz and... the timing's now spot on! This is not good.

My Athlon XP 2800+ CPU is rated to run at 166mhz FSB speed. The motherboard defaults to the slowest it supports, which is 133mhz, so you have to manually override that to make the system run at 166mhz FSB. This should be fine, as the CPU, mobo and RAM alre all rated to run that fast or faster. Although Windows loads up fine, DOSbox's timing is out when the FSB is changed. This is truly bizarre, and I don't understand why it is. Doesn't any decent Windows app get its timing from the system clock nowadays, not the FSB or CPU clock?? Please tell me how DOSbox gets its timing, and why changing the FSB speed of my system might cause DOSbox's timing to speed up. Also, is there any way I can counteract this?

== Jez ==