VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aquasync3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not exactly a big problem, but some games/progs have both an exe and bat with the same name, and tell you to just type the name to run it. In real dos this runs the batch file, but currently in dosbox it is the other way around. Not sure what the priority of .com's are, but that could be easily checked too.
Of course you can just call the .bat explicitly, but it'd be nice to fix this...

Reply 3 of 14, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The way DOSBOX works is the way that real DOS works. Since DOS 2.x the Command.com execution order has been *.COM, *.EXE, *.BAT.

See this older thread here on the same subject. The *.BAT before *.COM and *.EXE went out with PCDOS 1.x in the early 1980s.

dvwjr

Reply 8 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

"There can only be one..."

An .EXE and an .BAT

commandprioindos17hr.th.png

The .EXE takes precedence:

commandprioindos28yr.th.png

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 14, by Guest

User metadata

Is bochs the exact same as original dos prompt? I'm not argueing my guess but I just remember haveing many games which had batch files in the dir with the same name and they took preference (you could tell because they always had echo off and soemtimes %1 %2 %3)

Oh well, you get corrected every day! 😮

Reply 11 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Anonymous wrote:

Is bochs the exact same as original dos prompt?

Define: "original dos" 😀

Bochs is a pure CPU/screen/sound/network/disk emulator. It will (theoritically) run any OS you throw at it. The shoots I took, was with Bochs running DOS from Win95 OSR2.

win95dospromptbochs4yl.th.png welcometowindows95bochs8wd.th.png

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions