VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Irritated and upset

User metadata

I can't even get the silly thing to open. Everytime I attempt to open the Application (after installing), I get a Windows Error (File Name : VDD(03) + 00001816 Error : 00 : 0028 : C0231D9E), and then have to run SysReg to even be able to get Windows ME to run again (I get Windows Protection Errors). I have no idea what to do.

Reply 3 of 6, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's very strange. So after installing dosbox normally you can't open it and besides that it breaks windows?.
When someone can't open dosbox is usually due to problems with the graphic card drivers but this doesn't look like it. Maybe there's something wrong with windows and dosbox just exposes it.
Anyway you could try downloading the installer again and trying once more.
Good luck.

Iampiti

Reply 4 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Redownload installer and try again. If the installer proves to be ok, then your Windows are screwed up for whatever reason.. Reinstall drivers (graphic, chipset...), check for viruses/spyware and pray. If nothing helps, then reinstall Windows (It is a time consuming tasks, but sometimes it is necessary - I guess most of Windows users had to do it at one time or another). By reinstalling I mean the *clean* (new) installation.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

If you have the hardware, I recommend getting Windows XP. Way much better than ME but, on the other hand, any other O.S. is better than ME, even W98SE.

WXP - the best stability.
W98SE - the best Windows for old games.
The best solution is to dual boot WXP/W98SE.

However saying that, DOSBOX works in Windows ME (so you do not need to get a new OS just to use DOSBOX - there is just something screwed up on your computer).

Mirek