VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Peeko2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I intalled the newest version of DosBox a few weeks ago and it worked great. Now I try to run it again today and I keep getting an error.

doserror.jpg

I tried to replace the SDL.dll in the DosBox directory to see if it helps, and it did nothing. I also installed new catalyst drivers from ATI's site (I have a Radeon 9700 Pro) because I thought the problems started when a windows update popped up and installed new catalyst drivers. This didn't help any at all either, I still get the same error. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Reply 6 of 10, by Peeko2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I fixed my problem, and this is how I did it:

I tried just about everything under the sun to get this program to work again. I disabled all COM ports, I disabled all game ports, I even disconnected my USB devices with the exception of my mouse. I reinstalled DosBox multiple times and multiple versions, installed new video drivers, and downloaded the newest SDL.dll - all of that did nothing. I kept trying to think back and figure out when the program stopped working. I reffered earlier in this thread to a windows update for my Radeon 9700 Pro but I figured since I installed new catalyst drivers right from the website and it didn't work, that it had nothing to do with it.

Well I finally got desperate and said what the hell, System Restore time. So I restored my computer to exactly 1 month ago. The restore point was right before the Radeon 9700 pro windows update. After about 10 minutes of restoring I finally go to luanch Dosbox and whattya know, the bastard works. I don't know if that update was really the problem, but all sources lead me to believe it was. So thankfully I can now run my old games in peace. I hope this helps anyone who may have a problem down the road, because this took me quite a while to figure out.

And to everyone who posted in this thread, thanks for the suggestions. Although none of them helped, you tried and ultimatly it led me to use system restore since nothing worked.

Reply 9 of 10, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah yes. You should always go to your reliable website for driver downloads and ALWAYS uninstall the old ones and then clean them off using Driver Cleaner Pro (which is free) and then install your newer drivers.

Otherwise you're more likely going to have problems.
This is a new one in how it came about as an error but it makes sense.
/Ieremiou

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 10 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have never had the need for running any driver cleaner utility. I always use your ole' "Add & Remove programs" applet. I have never run into any problems this way even if I recently switched from nVIDIA to ATi. Am I lucky or what? 😎