VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by michse02

User metadata

Hello,

if I change the Dos Box to Fullscreen, my LCD Display says: Refresh Rate not supported.

1. Which rate is used?
2. Can I change this?
The display supports 60-75 hz

Thanks for help

Reply 2 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try a higher resolution. If you LCD supports the refresh rate at higher rez's it should work.

This is why I like Nvidia...I can override my refresh rates 🤣

Reply 3 of 19, by Guest

User metadata

I have tried
800x600
1024x768
1280x1024
it's everytime the same. Refresh rate not supported 🙁

My DosBox Version is 0.63
My graphic card is NVidia Gefoce 4 Ti 4600 and my LCD display is from Miro.
Windows XP

I set 60hz and 75hz in my Windows settings, but that dosn't change anything 🙁

Any more Ideas ?

Reply 7 of 19, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Anonymous wrote:
For those still struggling, this worked for me in the dosbox.conf file: […]
Show full quote

For those still struggling, this worked for me in the
dosbox.conf file:

output=overlay

You can also try (or opengl or openglnb or ddraw)

Here's my example for fully:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=true
fullresolution=1024x768
output=overlay

This basically avoids using of classic fullscreen (by settitng fullresolution to cover the whole screen). Looks like those LCDs are unable to emulate resulutions used by DOS games ... Long live classic monitors 😀

Mirek

Reply 8 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LCD screens.......more expensive for less quality. 🙄 Honsetly...they have resolution issues, refresh rate issues, ghosting image issues...

What was the upside? Space Saving? 😖 Most computer desks have more than enough space for CRT monitors..

Reply 9 of 19, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't talk about the ghosting lightly. For me it was a HUGE deal breaker. I played some FarCry on the (supposedly) best Samsung 19" LCD, and the ghosting was aweful. This was on a $700 LCD. I can get a GREAT 19" CRT for $300. Gamers, stick with CRTs until the response time on the LCD is better than 5ms. I think the best can only do 10ms right now. I almost passed out from dizzyness from all the ghosting. No joke.

Reply 11 of 19, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is very noticable in first person shooters. For FarCry going from the green leaves of trees to the blue sky was a tough color shift and ghosted more than say DOOM 3 were everything is dark. I play a lot of FPS games, so it was heartbreaking that it sucked the way it did. I really wanted to save the desktop space. 😢

Reply 12 of 19, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had borrowed the most expensive Samsung 17" for two weeks - it was almost perfect, but the ghost effect was horrible (i think samsungs have 30ms). Browsing VOGONS was terrible (whole screen was very dark violet when moving up/donw). My friend has bought a cheap LG (14ms) - browsing VOGONS is like on a CRT.

Reply 13 of 19, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd sooner have a bit of ghosting than ununiform screen quality across the entire display. My TFT is only rated around 35ms and I've played Far Cry, Doom 3, UT and HL all without issue. Reports of delayed screen updates are far exaggerated IMO. All this mine's got a quicker update speed than yours is so boring.

The worst aspect of a TFT is it's natural inability to display lower resolutions. Although this is a real PIA it's not a deal breaker given the quality of screen I'm looking at. You have to accept what a TFT can and cannot do. If you cannot live with that then continue with your CRT!

Good points of a TFT: The desk space I reclaimed after swapping out my 19" Dell Trinitron monitor for an 18" TFT was huge. The quality of the Windows desktop is a massive improvement even though my Dell was a very good monitor. Power consumption is also less and another bonus is the instant on perfect picture after standby with no wobbling like a CRT tube would do for 15 minutes whilst the tube warmed up. I can also take it to a LAN session with no problems fitting the TFT on the overcrowded table.

As for support of refresh rates, I used ReForce which just fixes the refresh rates per mode to whatever you set them to. I've never had any issues with it and it removes the uncertainty of application, driver combination making a mess of it. It works on any (I've used it on both ATI and nVidia) video card (as it updates the monitor settings IIRC).

Reply 16 of 19, by Guest

User metadata
Anonymous wrote:
For those still struggling, this worked for me in the dosbox.conf file: […]
Show full quote

For those still struggling, this worked for me in the
dosbox.conf file:

output=overlay

You can also try (or opengl or openglnb or ddraw)

Here's my example for fully:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=true
fullresolution=1024x768
output=overlay

thanks, it works with overlay.

Reply 17 of 19, by Xyloc

User metadata

Mm, Heat eh?

What about energy consumption?
My 19" TFT consumes 38 Watts, my 15" CRT consumes 220-240 watts.
And that wasn't the voltage. it just happens to be 1A, 220-240V.
I like computers, but I am ashamed to see how much energy these monsters use.

Just my 2kg of Carbondioxide,

Xyloc

Reply 18 of 19, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
michse02 wrote:

if I change the Dos Box to Fullscreen, my LCD Display says: Refresh Rate not supported.

Unfortunately, you do not specify the OS you are using. I use Windows 2000 myself, with DirectX 9 installed. I can chose "DirectX" in the control panel. The DirectDraw tab has a "forced refresh rate" choice, with which you can force the refreshrate. Maybe you could try this. In Linux, no doubt some X-configuration file can be modified for the same effect 😀.

JAL

Attachments

• directdrawtab.gif
    Filename
    directdrawtab.gif
    File size
    10.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

In WinXP you have to go through %SystemRoot%\System32\DXdiag.exe, click on the "More Help" tab, and finally the "Override..." button.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions