VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Klaitu

User metadata

Alright, so I'm trying to run some of my old Sierra games through DOSbox, and I can get them to work alright.. all but the sound, which is pretty much the entire reason I'm using DOSbox and not the usual windows command prompt.

The sound is skipping and playing very very slowly when the game is set to Sound Blaster. When the game is set to PC Speaker, the sound almost works, but is still a bit slow and still skips.

I have been playing with the cycles and framerates, but I'm not having a great deal of luck, so I have some questions:

1. CPU cycles.. what exactly is this function? The default is 3000.. but 3000 what's? 3000 cycles per.. second, maybe?

2. Is there a particular formula I can use to emulate a particular processor? Say I wanted to emulate a 33 mhz machine, could I take my current hardware, do some math, and then set DOXbox to accurately emulate that speed?

3. Does disabling sound options that I will never use (like GUS support) improve the performance of the emulator?

Thanks guys!

Reply 1 of 1, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

1 Cycles is cycles/millisecond
2 No since each x86 clone has it's own cycle timing there's no way to be sure
3 Not really sincee dosbox stops handling sound devices if they aren't used for a while or haven't even started.