VOGONS

Common searches

can you install dos games via dosbox?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Anon~

User metadata

i have some old dos gams , but only modern OS's on my computers , as i understand , dosbox emulates dos , in that it will play a game , from installed files. Well , i got some old CD's , but i cant install because its not windows 95 , but i cant install them threw dosbox either. How do i go about playing these games from cd , is this even possible ?

Reply 1 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

i recently downloaded a classic favorite of mine, "secret agent" from dosgamesarchive.com.... i have windows XP, so i googled for a way of running it after several times receiving the error message: "the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications."
i found DOSBox, which i thought was my salvation, but i am unable to install the game.... which would kinda help if i'd like to run it, huh. 😢

i am a total n00b with DOS, i'm actually not familiar with it at all, so any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!! Everyone here seems to know quite a bit about DOS so i think i've come to the right place.

Another rather off-topic question: i got the same error message from XP after trying to install a webcam that a friend gave me.. the file was apparently associated with DOS and wouldn't run. is there any way i can install DOS or a program that would allow DOS files to run on my computer??

I also found it interesting that the directory which reported these errors- C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT does not exist on my computer... i looked in the SYSTEM32 folder and AUTOEXEC was nowhere to be seen.

As you can tell, i'm DOS illiterate. I'm sorry for all the questions, but i really need the help!! *please help!*

thanks a million,

roSe 😵

Reply 3 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

Is my problem too complex or do you need more information to be able to help me..?

i was able to get Keen to work on dosbox, but not crystal caves or secret agent. maybe it's because when i downloaded keen there was only one file, and it was the application itself.

when i downloaded secret agent i had three little EXE icons in the folder: catalog, install, and SA1-ASP. i tried running my "secretagent" folder as a directory, but it said it was unable to change to "secretagent." is this bc of the multiple files and what do i have to do to them to make it read the directory?

when i downloaded crystal caves, there is the EXE icon labeled CC1 and a whole bunch of other icons, essential parts of the prog, prolly, that came with the EXE when i unzipped the folder. i tried to set the folder i unzipped to as a directory in dosbox, but once again i got the same message: unable to change to "crystalcaves."

in order for a game to run, is it necessary that the game (the EXE file) be the only thing in the folder(directory)?

*so confused* 😕 i'm trying here... help...!!

roSe