VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been updating my project that runs Windows 3.11 under DOSBox and DOSBox-X, and can't find an answer to this question:

I've been using the S3 drivers recommend by Dominus as display drivers for Win311, because they're the only ones I can find that have 32/64K colors at resolutions of 800x600 or higher. They work perfectly with DOSBox and SDL1-based DOSBox-X, but (under macOS only, I think) the high-color S3 drivers produce distorted colors in DOSBox-X SDL2 code.

I'm trying to make my project work under all platforms, and with both DOSBox and DOSBox-X. Are there any alternatives to those S3 drivers for high-res high-color Windows 3.11?

I've tried Tseng, Paradise, and Weitek without success. Any alternatives would be welcome.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If there is an issue with the SDL2 build of DOSBox using Windows 3.x with the S3 video drivers then you need to post an issue on the DOSBox-X site.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did exactly that before posting here. I'm not asking here for a fix for DOSBox-X, but for any information that might be out there about alternate Win311 drivers. Dominus has already provided a lot of information. I'm posting in the hope that there might be more of the same.

Reply 3 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Searching for "864141b5.zip" should turn up an alternate driver, in case you aren't aware of that one, but it is known to have some issues with the mouse pointer and other things I don't recall at the moment.

Reply 4 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you, ripsaw. After I downloaded that ZIP and installed them, it turned out that they were the same drivers that I already use - I think you pointed them out to me a few years ago. Now maybe I should try the non-alternate drivers...