VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chris122380

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My father has a HP notebook that every time i put the Curent DoxBox in fullscreen the computer crashes and reboots. It works fine in normal mode. How can i use DosBox in full screen? I get an error win it rebbots and this is what i get.

Attachments

• DosBox Error.jpg
    Filename
    DosBox Error.jpg
    File size
    53.02 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    This is the error i get.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That error message is not useful. at alllllllll.
Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced (tab) > Startup and Recovery Settings (button) and UNcheck "Automatically restart" under System failure. Then, write down the bluescreen you receive, along with the name of any files that it lists.
That said, I already know the problem is going to be crappy video card drivers. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 16, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you follow the situation with graphic drivers, you will see that there are often problems somewhere. For example I remember the huge problems which used to be with Neverwinter Nights (quite widespread game) on Ati cards (I think it is fixed know). there are other cases like that (with commercxially released games!).
In DOSBOX I remember a case when OpenGL crashed on W98 with some NVidia drivers (it is also ok now).
The fact that Windows run says nothing about the quality of drivers (I doubt anybody would release drivers which would not work at least in Windows).
Changing drivers should be the first thing to try in cases like yours.

Mirek

Reply 5 of 16, by chris122380

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The blue screen says to update drivers or bios to fix error. There are no driver updates.
also says
"Technical infermation:
"STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x000002AE, 0xF26F2CC8, 0x00000000)"

Attachments

• event_viewer.png
    Filename
    event_viewer.png
    File size
    27.63 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Event viewer Error report.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 16, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use PNG or JPG format when posting any images next time. People posting half a MB BMP pictures should be severely punished ... 😀
After spending the data limit on my ADSL line I am on the lowest speed (64k) and it takes time for something like that to load (JPG or PNG would be ten times smaller with the same quality).

I also think that blue screen would be more useful (there is a name of the file which caused the problem - I do not see it here).

Mirek

Last edited by mirekluza on 2005-02-17, 20:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Do you have any firewall or anti-virus software running? Unplug the network, disable the firewall/anti-virus, reboot, and try again.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Snover - I can assure you that when *I* disable stuff that I do not want to start up after a reboot, they *stay* disabled until *I* say otherwise 😀

For ZoneAlarm 4.5 do this: 1) Right-click on the ZA-icon in SysTray, 2) Select "Restore ZA Control Center", 3) Goto "Overview", 4) Click the "Preferences" tab, 5) Uncheck the "Load ZoneAlarm at startup" checkbox.

I do not have Norton AV so I do not know how to disable that, but I am sure there is a similar way to do it.

Reply 12 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Snover, this is not worth figthing about since it took me about 3 seconds to find this picture. Looks very similar to the ZA stuff.

Reply 13 of 16, by chris122380

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

He has a HP Pavilion Notebook ZE5000s. There are no new drivers or bios flashes acording to HP's website. So it has to be somthen in DosBox. The old one worked on full screen just not the new one.

Reply 14 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Easiest way to disable NAV (at least the excellent corporate version) is to disable the services. It's probably the same with the retail versions but I like to stay far away from those.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
chris122380 wrote:

He has a HP Pavilion Notebook ZE5000s. There are no new drivers or bios flashes acording to HP's website. So it has to be somthen in DosBox. The old one worked on full screen just not the new one.

No - or rather - it depends on what you mean by "in DOSBox".

DOSBox is an ordinary program - there is nothing magical about it. And ordinary programs should not be able to bring down the operating system and the machine. If they do, then it is an error in the operating system and/or its drivers - graphics drivers, BIOS'es, or low-level services like firewalls and anti-virus programs that hooks into the inner workings of the operating system.

But hey - that's just my opinion. If you want to blame it on DOSBox, feel free to do so.

Reply 16 of 16, by chris122380

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was usen the most curent version of DosBox the old one was working fine. Now that i have updated his laptop to windowx Xp SP2 it works fine. Maybe it was somthen that is now fixed with SP2. So if you have problums with dosbox and fullscreen try and install SP2.