VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by manny

User metadata

I'm not trying to run a game but a program that I use to measure loudspeakers. Everthing works great except that I cannot see any text! The graphic elements show beautifully and all the commands work etc. But, the screen elements that are text do not show. For instance if I hit F1 to look at the help screen the program does it but I get a plain blue screen. Is there some setting in DOSBox that could be causing this behavior? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No setting that I know of.

My suggestion would be to edit the config file (dosbox.conf) and try different types of "output=...." and perhaps "machine=...".

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 10, by manny

User metadata

Thanks. I tried it but no luck. This is maddening because after executing certain commands in the program I get a quick flicker of the text that should be on the screen. I've tried changing the graphics mode of the program I'm running as well. No help. It really seems like a DOSBox issue. If anyone else has any insights into this one I sure would love hearing them.

Reply 4 of 10, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mirekluza wrote:

Since we do not know the program you use (you did not even name it!), I doubt that anybody can help you.

Manny: what Mirekluza means is "provide as much information as possible when asking a question". Text not appearing is not a known DOSbox issue, so for us to see what's wrong, we need at least some screendump and ideally the program itself.

JAL

Reply 5 of 10, by manny

User metadata

Here's more information for you. Sorry I didn't want to get to wordy right off the bat.

The program is called MLSSA (pronounced Melissa) and is an industry standard package for acoustical measurements - mostly speakers. It interfaces with an ISA card for sending out test signals and aquiring data. It can be run without the card for accessing data files for post processing and creating charts. This is what I'm trying to do.

I would attach a screen shot but it is not clear to me how to do that here. Perhaps someone could please enlighten me?

The basic screen consists of a graph, a frequency response for instance, and perhaps a file name above it and below the x and y values for the cursor position and a set of menu commands with the first letter hightlighted. Typical stuff. The graph displays perfectly. I can move cursors, change colors, load and save files, process the data to see a phase response for instance it's all good, but, I have to do it blind as I cannot see those menu commands! No header on top of the chart naming the file. Press F1 to see the help screen and it's solid blue with none of the usual white text. The program has cga and vga modes, switching them makes no difference. Changing the color of the text makes no difference. Can't see it.

I've tried changing machine modes and outputs in DOSBox - no help (although MLSSA will only work in vga). What is interesting is that I can sometimes see a flicker of the text when changing screens inside the MLSSA program.

I would have to check with the programs creator to see if I could send a copy of it to one of you as you asked. He still sells it and it costs a few thousand dollars. I suspect sharing an older version would not be a problem. Who would I send it to?

The MLSSA website is http://mlssa.com

Thanks for your interest in this.

Reply 6 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
manny wrote:

I would attach a screen shot but it is not clear to me how to do that here. Perhaps someone could please enlighten me?

When you compose a message, there should be an "Add an Attachment" section with a "Browse..." button 😉

I would have to check with the programs creator to see if I could send a copy of it to one of you as you asked. He still sells it and it costs a few thousand dollars. I suspect sharing an older version would not be a problem. Who would I send it to?

Why not send the creator a link to DOSBox and ask him to figure out what is wrong? I would suspect that it would be in his/her interest if MLSSA can be made to work with DOSBox, since real DOS'es are a rare beast these days.

Reply 7 of 10, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
manny wrote:

Here's more information for you. Sorry I didn't want to get to wordy right off the bat.

That's okay, after all it could have been a well-known DOSbox problem 😀.

manny wrote:

You could try sending me, my e-mailaddress: username 'jal', domainname 'hacom', extension 'nl'. Mmmm, I wonder why I didn't just type it in full, since I'm already getting 20+ spammails a day 🙁. I can't promis I have time to look at it right away, but I'll give it a go sometime.

JAL

Reply 8 of 10, by manny

User metadata

MiniMax, I already sent MLSSA's author an e-mail last night to inform him of the existence of DOSBox. Haven't gotten a reply yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

As far as showing you a screen shot goes, I hate to sound dense but I do not see an "Add an attachment" button. I see text format, list, img, url, disable smilies, etc. but no "attachment." Is it because I am not a registered user? I'm clicking the artfully done "reply" button in the lower right corner of the last message to get the screen I'm typing in now.

jal, thank you for your offer to look over the software. I will get permission from the author and then take you up on that. I promise that you will get no spam from me!

Reply 10 of 10, by AlexC

User metadata

I had a similar problem. No text visible (including DOS prompt) with version 0.63, but it works fine with 0.62 (no other changes).

Without an autoexec.bat file 0.63 works OK, with that file it doesn't. But commenting out the contents of individual autoexec.bat lines doesn't seem to help. Odd. I've now reverted to 0.62.

Excellent piece of software, by the way - well done.