VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I have a very old pricing program that requires a sort of hardware "key" (a small attachment placed between the printer port and the printer cord...though it has nothing to do with the printer) the program will not run without this key and will not run without DOS. My problem is that I would like to upgrade my system to Windows XP and still be able to use this program. I have attempted to use DosBox to run the program as a test, but DosBox does not recognize the hardware key as being attached so the program will not run. Has anyone run into a similar problem or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it.

Reply 1 of 2, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous wrote:

I have a very old pricing program that requires a sort of hardware "key" (...) Has anyone run into a similar problem or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it.

DOSbox doesn't have an LPT pass-through, so unfortunately, you cannot use DOSbox for this application at this moment.

JAL

Reply 2 of 2, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't want to promote Warez or Cracking here but you can try to find a crack for your program (i.e. a version which was modified so it doesn't require the dongle anymore). Since you're obviously a licensed user of the software (you own the dongle) it shouldn't be a problem. If it is a problem for you then just see this solution as a temporary solution until DOSBox has LPT pass-through support 🙄

Did you already try to run the program under Windows XP's command shell?