VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Domainbug

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am constantly hounded by the above error when trying in install an old dos program in my DOSBOX. The install pgr seems to run for about two seconds then produces this error every time.

Any help appreciated, Regards Lee.

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Domainbug wrote on 2021-04-01, 07:35:

I am constantly hounded by the above error when trying in install an old dos program in my DOSBOX. The install pgr seems to run for about two seconds then produces this error every time.

Any help appreciated, Regards Lee.

With all due respect, mentioning an error message for a program whose name you are keeping from us is not likely to get you much useful help, especially considering the fact that even almighty google returns

No results found for "Fatal Install Date Error".

That being said, if I had to guess, I would say that the program might be complaining about either the date being out of an expected range (the software may have been programmed with the expectation that it would never be used beyond a specific date like the year 2000, for example). Another possibility is that it is trying to run the date command that is normally included with a DOS install but is not included with DOSBox's integrated DOS . Yet another possibility is that it has something to do with the program's copy protection (if it has any) . Maybe it is checking some file date on the install media and not liking what it sees .

Beyond that, it might as well have something to do with space aliens, elves or the great pumpkin, for all I know, taking the amount of information provided into account . 😉

Also, keep in mind that DOSBox is meant for gaming use, so if the program in question is not game related, it is probably better to consider on of the more general-purpose forks of DOSBox, such as http://vdosplus.org/

Reply 2 of 2, by Domainbug

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Darry, you are right of course. Google knows nothing as does Microsoft Knowledge Base. I have the same results with both Win10 and WinXP.

The program I am trying to install is a comms program called KaGold written by a US company named Interflex Systems and it is to run with advanced Modems / TNC's . Interflex have since closed down.

Many thanks for your prompt reply.
Regards Lee