VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zanthia84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi! i want to record music from old dos games in dosbox but when i press CTRL+F6, nothing happens. but in the readme it says you can record sound output to wave file. i'd like to record music in wave file, but how can i do it? thanks for your help and big thanks for making dosbox!

Reply 1 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

By default, DOSBox puts all its captures in a directory called ..... (big surprise) .... 'captures' (you can change the name by editing the file dosbox.conf). But the directory have to exists - DOSBox will not create it for you.

One thing that might confuse you (an DOSBox) is where this 'capture' directory is supposed to be created. My suggestion is to use an absolute path, like

captures=C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\DOSBox captures

Edit: Fixed spelling error and updated the attachment.

Attachments

Last edited by MiniMax on 2005-02-20, 18:02. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 13, by Zanthia84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi! i created the directory you told about and added it in dosbox.conf but i still can't record sound from games. i pressed CTRL+F6 but still nothing happens. has anyone recorded sound with dosbox, if so how? thanks for your help.

Reply 3 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

😊 Oops!! 😊

I should have tried my own advice before posting it. Seems like DOSBox does not like the double quotes (") when specifying the name of the capture directory 😵

Try it again, this time without the quotes:

captures=C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\DOSBox captures

Reply 4 of 13, by Zanthia84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi again. i removed the "" marks from dosbox.conf, but i still can't record sound! is there anyway to record game music in wave form in dosbox, if so how? when i press CTRL+F6 nothing happens, is this normal? thanks for your help.

Reply 6 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Zanthia84 wrote:

hi again. i removed the "" marks from dosbox.conf, but i still can't record sound! is there anyway to record game music in wave form in dosbox, if so how? when i press CTRL+F6 nothing happens, is this normal? thanks for your help.

Sure there is! It works perfectly for me.

Do you see any error messages in the DOSBox status window (the one titled something like "C:\Programs\DOSBox\doxbox.exe")?

I see this when I start capturing sound:

CONFIG:Loading settings from config file dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Capturing Wave Output to capture\iw_000wav

(when I had the errornous double-quotes, I got an error message Can't open dir "capture" for capturing Wave Output)

Reply 7 of 13, by Zanthia84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi again. i'm using dosbox version 0.63. and in my dosbox status window there doesn't read anything like Capturing Wave Output to capture\iw_000wav and i didn't get any error message when i used the double quotes. what version are you running MiniMax? thanks for your quick replies and help. i added my status window as an attachment.

Attachments

• status.JPG
    Filename
    status.JPG
    File size
    17.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm.... I think it is time for a little bit of sanity check. First I want to make sure that you are editing the same config file that DOSBox uses. From the screen dump I can see that the file is C:\Programs Files\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.conf. Is that the file you are editing?

Do this please:

1. Create a directory on C: called C:\Captures.
  2. Put that in the captures line:
    [dosbox]
    captures=C:\Captures
  3. Also, in the CPU section, set the no. of cycles to 4000:
    [cpu]
    cycles=4000
  4. Start DOSBox. Check the title of the main DOSBox window. What does it say for Cycles? 3000 or 4000?
  5. What happens if you press CTRL-F11 a couple of times, and then CTRL-F12?

Do you see the number of cycles changing?
  6. Start you game, and when the sound starts, press CTRL-F6.

Anything in the status window about Capturing Wave Output to C:\Captures\name-of-game_000wav?

Reply 9 of 13, by Zanthia84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi again MiniMax. yes, i'm editing C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.conf. i created Captures directory in C: and i set cycles to 4000. i started dosbox and in main window it says cycles 4000. when i press CTRL+F11 the cycles lowers and when i press CTRL+F12 the cycles gets higher. yes, i see cycles number changing. i started my game (rise of the dragon) and when sound started i pressed CTRL+F6. nothing is displayed about capturing wave output to anything. thanks for trying to help. i added my new status window as attachment.

Attachments

• status2.JPG
    Filename
    status2.JPG
    File size
    21.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Okay - I am lost for ideas. You are editing the right config file since the 4000 cycles show up, and yout CTRL-Fn keys are working too...

Anyone else want to step in ??

Btw - have you tried with a different game?

Reply 13 of 13, by Guest

User metadata

You can try replacing the key in the keymap (i've never been able to work with it). Some keyboards sometimes report different key (than what you've pressed (related to your OS localization setting).
Try changing the screen capture to a useless key like + in the keymapper (Never tried it myself).