VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,

I've been maintaining this front-end for DOSBox on Windows since 2009.
Now, I think, is a good time to have an official thread about it on VOGONS.

Official websites :
https://ampshell.tuxfamily.org/
https://github.com/maximilien-noal/AmpShell

Key Features :
------------
* Windows 98 support (.NET 2.0 version)
* Windows XP and later support (.NET 4.0 version)
* Portable mode (à la PortableApps.com)
* Launch anything with or without DOSBox
* You can use another version of DOSBox for each game instead of the default one (I like to use ECE, SVN, DOSBox-X, or the DOSBox Debugger, depending on what I'm doing)
* Fast and lightweight
* AutoConfig (A standard installation of DOSBox is found automatically)
* Command line interface
* Drag & Drop a .PIF file, a Windows link, or an executable on the main window and it will be recognized as a new game
* Compatible with Mono (although this is not really supported, there is surpising number of Linux and Mac users)

Requirements
-------------
At least Windows 98 with .NET 2.0, or XP with .NET 4.0.

Starting with Windows 7 SP1, .NET 4 is provided with Windows, so you don't have to install it.

TODO list (maybe... someday)
----------------------------
* Inno-setup based installer for Windows 98 (tracking down .NET Framework 2.0 and its deps for Windows 98 can be quite frustrating nowadays. Especially since it depends on IE 5.5+ and Windows Installer 2.0)
* Localization support
* Import data from other front-ends support (right now import is only for previous AmpShell data)
* Linux / Mac version based on .NET Core and AvaloniaUI (in progress, ETA: ?)
* Maybe finally support Windows 7+ jump lists... 😁

Feel free to report any bug / feature request here.

Last edited by xcomcmdr on 2021-05-21, 09:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New bugfixes released today:
https://github.com/maximilien-noal/AmpShell/r … ases/tag/v1.3.6

Minor Bugfix (GameForm): Keep REMarks in Additionnal Commands
Bugfix: "Open Game Folder" works even when the game's executable wasn't selected
Bugfix: Saving Prefs after having re-ordered Categories was causing an error.

As for the UI, Dark Mode and sorting (while using the Large Icons view mode) are "Work in Progress"... 😉

Last edited by xcomcmdr on 2021-05-21, 13:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I'm glad that it is useful. 😀

New Release a few days ago:
https://github.com/maximilien-noal/AmpShell/r … ases/tag/v1.3.8

* Revert regression from 1.3.7 where the location of a game's DOSBox configuration file wasn't used as the working directory, […]
Show full quote

* Revert regression from 1.3.7 where the location of a game's DOSBox configuration file wasn't used as the working directory, which meant relative paths used in the configuration file would not work (such as the path for screen captures, or relative paths used in the AUTOEXEC section)
* If we detect that DOSBox-X is used, we set the working directory to the one where DOSBox-X.exe is located. This should hopefully fix files not being found, as DOSBox-X puts its default config file in its installation dir as opposed to the %APPDATA% directory.
* The advanced users can set DOSBox's working directory for each game on the 'Advanced Configuration' tab. If it is set, we use that, even if DOSBox-X is used. So if the fix above doesn't work, use that.
* Removed tips from Additionnal Commands field. Put it in a label below instead.
* Note (this is unrelated to AmpShell) : The latest DOSBox-X release fixes the fullscreen mode set by AmpShell via the command line. It works now.

Last edited by xcomcmdr on 2023-09-08, 16:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by EtaYorius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just registered to say thank you. I been looking for something that can manage DOS games or in the wost case at least Emulate DOS games under Win98. This is perfect as i can manage all my DOS games in a single Program. This is exactly what i been looking for.

(EDIT)

AmpShell is great as it allows me to manage all my games in a single app, I'm using a Pentium3 at 1GHZ with 512MB RAM as retro Gaminc PC, but sometimes using DOSBOX obviously tanks performance in some games so i use the option "Don't use dosbox run as it is". Not sure how possible it is, but any chance to add an option to mount image/folder while that checkbox is enabled? I been using Daemon tools but that way i have to swap the img every time i want to run a different game.