VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by marky00

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🙁 Hi all,

I don't understand what is going on.

I downloaded DosBOX the other day. It will run on Windows 95/98 but not in Windows Xp.

Ironically, I downloaded DosBox so I could run an old MSDOS based application on WindowsXp.

The program basically crashes on start-up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Edited by mirekluza: modified misleading title (DOSBOX works in WXP for most of people, including me...).

Reply 3 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

> Is there anything i can do

Use dosbox.exe, and not WinXP's built-in DOS emulator? dosbox.exe do not use AUTOEXEC.NT - WinXP do.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
borisbj wrote:

i seem to have the same problem
error message says C:Windows\System32\AutoEXEC.NT The file system not suitable for running ms doss and Microsoft windows applications
Is there anything i can do

Typical symptom of a virus/spyware/malware infected machine. Try restoring CONFIG.NT and AUTOEXEC.NT from the REPAIR folder. Look for them. Also, keep an eye on spyware, malware, etc...

And, do not use the ring! I mean, do not use IE for surfing. Get a safer, beter browser. 😁

Reply 5 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm some patch of windows "messes" up these files as well.
search for them on your pc (you will find them in some repair/backup folder.) Use those to replace the ones in the system directory and all will be fine again.

Please note that dosbox doesn't use these files. So if you get this error then you aren't using dosbox.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 9, by Marky000

User metadata

No, I am not getting any error messages at all. The program tries to run for a few seconds and then just closes. A black window labelled "DOSBox 0.63 Cpu cycles......" comes up for a while and then closes.

Of course it is possible that I could have some spyware and/or an infected machine. But who doesn't these days. I run Panda Active Scan every couple of days and find all kinds of crap on my computer (including worms).

I'll have to try running the program on another PC coz it aint going to run on mine. Thing is, I am not having trouble running any other application.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Mark

Reply 7 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can also try editting dosbox.conf and use several output modes (surface, overlay, openGL, ddraw, etc).
Try updating your videocard drivers.
Try downloading and replacing the existing SDL.DLL library (try with an old and with a newer version).

Simpple DirectMedia Layer can be downloaded here

Reply 8 of 9, by marky00

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, i'm back again.

I have one thing to say: "eL_Pusher", you are a legend. Your were right, the problem was with the SDL.DLL file.

I went on the site and downloaded firstly version 1.0.8 for Win32. This did not work. I then tried version 1.2.8 for Win32 and what do you know "success at last". DosBOX.exe now runs like a charm. I was kind of suprised actually because the size of the SDL.DLL (ver 1.2.😎 was quite a bit smaller than the file of the SDL.DLL provided with the DosBox 0.63 download.

I'm glad this worked because I didn't really fancy having to muck around with the Dosbox.conf file. The only thing I have changed in that is setting fullscreen = true so that DosBox starts in fullscreen mode.

I know I am probably pushing my luck (and I probably should start a new thread) but seeming as I am on a roll, I do have another question.

Is there a way around having to mount the specified drive and selecting the program you want to run everytime DOSBox starts.
For example, lets say I want to run the program called "Jimmy" which is located on F: Drive.

I might type the following:
mount c f:\Jimmy

Then in order to start the program, I would type the following
C: Jimmy.exe

You see, I am setting up this computer for someone else who is pretty much computer illiterate. I am ok to type in such commands but I don't think he will cope very well. Also, he will be running this program all the time so it could become quite time consuming.

Is there a way that I could create these commands so that they auto execute on start-up? A bit like the way the Autoexec.bat file used to work.

Any suggestions would be graetly appreciated.

Thanks agin eL_Pusher.

Mark

Reply 9 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm reading the documentation might help a bit with that 😉

Anyway take a look at the bottom of dosbox.conf

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!