VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Saturdaynight

User metadata

So I pulled out my old DOS 6.22 disks and installed DOSSHELL within the directory where I run DOSBOX and now I have a GUI for DOSBOX! It's running in the following mode:

Graphics 60 lines High Resolution 2

dosshell.JPG

Reply 2 of 7, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never heard of a "Norton Explorer", but my old "Norton Commander 5" (the last version of Norton for DOS) works like a charm in DOSBox.

But then again, I don't see the big deal. Frontends are meant to be as "lite" as possible by definition.
They usually don't care for memory or sound (at least for their basic functions).

So if anything should work in DOSBox, it's frontends.

Reply 3 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll stick to D-fend 😉

EDIT: Mind you, I used to use an old dos menu that allowed up to 16 options. The 16th was usually reserved for 'Park Disk'....the old equivalent of a "It is now safe to shutdown the computer" screen which showed a power switch turn off. I can't remember the name of this...anyone have it? The exe was just simply called menu.exe

Reply 5 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, its probably wasn't integrated. Though it did come with the menu for some reason. I don't know if this was a custom made app or what 😒 I wish I still had the disk lying around somewhere just for fun.

I remember installing it on friend's machines to give them a simple text UI to get to programs faster. Kind of like an ancient desktop 🤣 Too bad it only allowed a set amount of programs (16) mind you some people didn't need more than 16 at that time (nor did they have the disk space!!)